“Hillary ain’t never been called a nigger.”

Oh, Geraldine Ferraro takes a tumble for playing a race card, but Barack Obama’s minister Jeremiah Wright can whip up his congregation with the word nigger. I haven’t heard Senator Obama say a thing about how “ridiculous” his preacher sounds.

Comments

1. I’m not afraid to say that I am so sick and tired of blacks playing the race card and pretending that they are innocent of bigotry! Obama will be just like most of them, and if he gets in the White House it will be a sad day for America! He plays high and mighty, but his attack dogs do his dirty work for him.

2. I hope no one judges Christianity by this moron’s blabbing because he is NOT a Christian. Jesus would never have said the garbage this fool says, and people should judge Obama’s “Christianity” by the company he keeps.

3. This preacher comes so close to calling Hillary a white MAN that I’m not going to lose any sleep over his other opinions. It’s worth a chuckle.

4. Dave Frank says:

There is no end to this, “your supporter said this,” well “your supporter said that.” I guess the only positive is we don’t have to listen to Hillary drone on about health care…

5. And we have several more months, Dave!

6. Dave Frank says:

Please don’t remind me. Does anyone else wish we could take a few weeks off? I shudder to think of the ’round the clock Pennsylvania coverage we are about to see. I love politics and all, but even I have my limits.

7. The minister is a nut job and Geraldine Ferraro is a kamikaze pilot. Big deal, it’s the same narrative–just a new name for each news cycle.

8. Ty Right says:

Sorry to say it guys, I’m a 60 year old white man, with more than a few racist bones in me, but there isn’t anything much untrue with the gist of what Wright says… Jesus wasn’t black but he was ceratinly a semite of the 1st century, so he looked like an ? Arab… But as for the rest? The country is ruled by rich men, and lets be honest they are white men. None of them is going to be shot 51 times like Sean Bell, none of them is going to be pulled over because hey drive an expensive car in a ritzy neighborhood. I’d have to be as stupidly racist (Instead of normally racist like everyone) as the people writing here to not understand that no white person has to put up with what Black people have to and no white person is as likely to be killed as a black person, as likely to not get medical treatment, as likely to go to 3rd rate schools.. none of us have to bear anything like black men do, and certainly Hillary Clinton, Little miss privileged princess that she has been all her life is full of it when she pretends to be the champion of the working class… You may not like what Wright says, but you’d feel different if you were black. To me this is just denial of the terminally dumb, and again as bigotted as I thought I was, in the last few weeks I understand a tiny bit why black people in this country are pissed off… If working class whites want to protect their likelyhood of ever having a livelihood ever gain, they would join with the blacks, to deny the rich the ability to drive wages down to nothing by importing and exploiting illegals to work for pennies. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, we’re all being used by the very rich. You are being used in the same ways as Rev Wright rants on about. The Rev is also a former US marine, so he’s earned a lot more spout off time than the bozos on this list.

9. It seems to make John McCain’s warmongering about “bombing Iran” and “being in Iraq for 100 years” credible and defensible.

Ty, thanks for making the point that Jesus was not a white man. Funny story–semites include Arabs and Jews. And Jesus, by all accounts, was a semite.

It’s kind of ironic that some of us are on a witch hunt for Arabs when our lord and savior himself was an Arab. Love thy neighbor? Only if he’s not a terrorist or wetback, right?

10. Anonymous says:

I don’t know about credible, but it does add to the defensibility of McCain’s remarks. Hyperbole has a place in political speech. I’m not any more worried about McCain bombing Iran than I was about Ronald Regan declaring the Soviet Union illegal and commencing bombing.

I’m not worried about Jeremiah Wright either. He is using his own brand of hyperbole –and I might add in the prophetic tradition of his namesake, who also made politically unpopular statements. It would be easier to swallow if all of his assertions were true. Nonetheless, he appeared to be responding to the criticism that Obama was ‘not black enough’–which the talking heads, back in December, were suggesting came from the Hillary camp. In that context, most of Wrights comments make sense.

My chuckle comment was a sorry attempt to avoid the issue–or the non issue, as it ought to be. We have our own love of hyperbole on this board; sometimes it is tiring and I back out.

11. Not anonymous, that was me.

12. Which is why I’m having a non-political three days!

13. Jesus was NOT an Arab! My goodness, how does one claim to be a follower of Him and not know that he was a Jew…and Jews are not Arabs. In eternal terms, it might be better to get to know Hs rather than Obama’s story.

El gato’s got it mostly right on this one. S: (n) Arab, Arabian (a member of a Semitic people originally from the Arabian peninsula and surrounding territories who speaks Arabic and who inhabits much of the Middle East and northern Africa).

The Arabian Penisula is today’s modern Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

However, there are Arabic Jews, just ask my buddy who fled Iran after the Shah was overthrown. A definite minority, buy they do exist, just like Iraqi Catholics!

15. There are Jews who live in Arab countries. One is a Jew by birth, not by practicing Judaism. The bloodline for Arabs goes through Ismael and for Jews it goes through Isaac. El gato has it exactly right according to the Bible, and there is no other authority more accurate than that.

If you look in the Koran you will see that the Biblical account has been changed and they claim that it was Ishmael who was to be sacrificed by Abraham. They change the biblical account and then simply claim someone else had changed it from the original story without any evidence to back up their claim. Same old story of cults coming up with lies and gullible people fall for it.

16. Actually, the Koran just says “the boy.” It is tradition, rather than the Koran that claims the boy is Ishmael. There are other instances where the Koran and the Bible are in clear conflict, but this one is a gray area.

BrkfldDad, I’m interested in your friend. I thought I was familiar with the ethnic groups of Iran, but this one is new to me. I’ve met Persian Jews from Iran, but not Arab Jews from Iran. I know there are other Arab minorities there as well, but assumed they were Shiite or Christian.

I actually think that Iran is the most likely candidate for an eventual democracy because despite the great variety of ethnic groups (and they do squabble and discriminate and sometimes persecute) they all consider themselves Iranians. The Iraqis will fall apart along ethnic and tribal lines for a long time before they find a way to cooperate, but the Iranians are already there–they self-identify as a single state.

I think we are in violent agreement. Note I said Arabic Jews, not Arab (or Arabian) Jews… there’s a difference.

18. I met a Moroccan Jew on my trip and have photos of a Moroccan synagogue.

I think it was a difference in oral tradition, El Gato. I doubt the name of the child Abraham almost sacrificed was changed to undermine Christianity.

19. Not trying to argue with you, BrkfldDad. Do you mean that your friend (or his parents or grandparents) speaks Arabic as a mother tongue?

Kathryn,

It’s semantics… I guess you could call him a Persian Jew, as he was born/raised in Iran by Saudia Arabian Jew parents… father worked for Amoco.

21. Ok, I get it. Thanks.

There are ethnic Arabs in Iran who have been there for generations (Christian and Muslim), several Turkic peoples (Muslim), Assyrians (they are Christians), Kurds (who I think are Aryans, like the Persians –their languages are in the same family anyway), Armenians (Christian again) and ethnic Persians who are mainly Shiite, but also Jewish. The Persians have a variety of tribal origins, but mainly these have become regional characteristics, like Southern cooking or New England accents. The Turkic peoples have tribal backgrounds too, but these have become obscure.

22. http://www.submission.org/suras/sura37.html

I don’t read Arabic, so I have to trust these translations. Start at Surah 37:102.

The Koran absolutely undermines the Bible! Islam is not from the true God. It is a false religion and Mohammed was deceived by satan. No Christian can accept these false religions as valid and be a true Christian. What your ethnicity is comes from your birth. What your religion is comes from culture, family, etc. One could be a Martian Christian and still be both a Martian and a Christian. There were once Jews all over the Middle East as well as Christians. Many of Mohammed’s writings show his familiarity with both the Jewish and Christian beliefs. As time went on and tolerance of the non-Muslims diminished they were persecuted mostly out of the Islamic countries. A remnant remains just as a remnant of Christians remains in Europe.

23. You’re becoming a zealot, and there are now more Jews in the Middle East than there ever was.

“Islamic traditions narrate that he will return to earth near the day of judgement to restore justice and defeat al-Masīḥ ad-Dajjāl (lit. “the false messiah”, also known as the Antichrist) and the enemies of Islam.”

Read up on it here, dude.

And Jesus was of Aramaic descent, which is a different branch of the semite group from Arabs.

Jesus probably looked more like Aladdin than the icon in our churches now.

24. Out of courtesy to Cindy, I sent someone my reply directly. Again reading things I never said.

25. You are correct about ethnicity, of course, El gato. I’m just very interested in ethnicity and languages and how people (groups, cultures) influence one another by interaction and proximity. I’d like to learn more about India and Slavs next.

26. The captions aren’t part of the translation, nor are the footnotes or parenthetical insertions; they are all inserted by the editors, much like the notes and captions in a Bible. I have my doubts about even the verse numbers; would bet they were added some many years after the text was established. They are really useful, though.

Understanding the Bible without a historical context is difficult. I think it must be even harder to understand the Koran without a context because no attempt was made to order the material chronologically; the Suras are arranged by length. When one Sura contradicts another, the latest is considered authoritative. As an outsider I have no clue which one is latest, really have to depend on those notes.

27. Shawn, Jesus probably spoke Aramaic. It was the vernacular. Legal matters were conducted in Latin, trade in Greek, everyday life was in Aramaic. I don’t think that makes Jesus of Aramaic descent.

Kathryn, you are correct, Jesus most likley spoke Aramaic, but if he was a descendant of Aram, then Shawn has read some never before known scrolls!

29. Hmm, there could be a lucrative career in that!

30. Maybe I know something that no one else knows…

31. That would be gnosticism–extra money in that, for sure!

32. it’s hard work