It’s Gay Day in Elmbrook Schools

Well, that’s not actually what they are calling it. Technically it’s a club event called a “Day of Silence” organized by a school group. Last night when I went for conferences, there were photocopied fliers on the walls about the event.

I asked the youngest “what’s up with that?” She said she hadn’t noticed the posters, but did remember the day from last year. Some of the students use eyeliner to draw lines or zippers across their mouths, others use duct tape.

Kyle Prast at Practically Speaking wrote this up first and much more thoroughly. She’s got correspondence from the district. This caught my eye:

5. At East, there is a voluntary end-of-the day meeting in a classroom that is called, “Breaking the Silence,” where those in attendance may share their experiences, particularly whether anyone made any disrespectful or hurtful comments to individuals. Those in attendance may talk about the impact they believe they did or did not have in promoting tolerance for others and respect of all persons.

Guess what kids? When you are different, the world is full of “disrespectful or hurtful comments.” No one’s going to hold your hand. The key, and what your day needs to be about, is being comfortable with what makes you different, not demanding attention from others to help you be different.

Lifestyle choices are just that. Own up to them or walk away. Don’t expect me to pat you on the head and congratulate your decision to call attention to your differences. Imagine trying to get away with this “day of silence” in the workplace.

And Elmbrook swears they are preparing students for the future.

1. In theory, they aren’t supposed to refuse a teacher’s request for input. But my “inside source” says the participants do refuse, and the teacher’s don’t do much about it.

2. A Lifestyle Choice??

Nice idea, only wish it were that simple!!

3. I’m not arguing homosexuality as a lifestyle choice (although I think I could if you wanted to go there.)

I am arguing calling attention to your differences in a high school environment is a lifestyle choice.

But I’m the prude who thinks sexuality of any kind shouldn’t be “celebrated” in a classroom of under aged students.

4. I wonder if it’s supposed to be a reminder of what my mom always told me at the table…”don’t talk with your mouth full”? I wonder if the students who disagree are asked to meet and make comments at the end of the day? Why are parents tolerating this garbage? You can’t watch TV without seeing hot girls kissing each other. Turn the TV off or switch channels to one of the educational channels so you can have evolution jammed down your throat. That’s better than the alternative! (Pun intended)

By the way, how come the ruins of civilization all seem to go back for the last 3500 years, but they keep shoving the idea that we’ve been around for hundreds of thousands? How come they say all kinds of things without any evidence at all and so many people just accept it? Could it be that the people who accept the lies just don’t want there to be an “intelligent designer” (God)?

5. Jay Wirth says:

To begin, your comments make me sick.

Second, your thoughts parallel those of anti civil rights advocates during the 1940’s. Too bad Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. made it a point to stand up for justice; they should have continued to live suppressed lives and accepted the “disrespectful or hurtful comments.”

Looking back on the civil rights movement, we are inspired by the courage various leaders and everyday people had to do what they believed in. Yet at the time they were ridiculed, tortured, and killed for doing what was right.

The gay rights movement is the civil rights movement of this generation.

The day of silence doesn’t really “celebrate” much. Rather it gives gay students (and those that support them) a chance to feel shameless for their beliefs.

I know one day is a lot, compared to the measly 364 days of heterosexual pride we witness all year.

Although a school setting may seem like the wrong place for this event, it is actually opposite. School is where we learn to get along and interact with our peers. Learning to accept, respect and appreciate differences is crucial to succeeding in life. We will always encounter jobs where there is someone we don’t like for one reason or another. Having the ability to put that reason or difference behind us is what has allowed our country to thrive, while those that can’t seem to do this have held us back.

Looking once again at the civil rights movement, we witnessed the same bigotry concerning African Americans being allowed in public schools. A dispute that ended with a supreme court ruling is now “celebrated” every February (in Elmbrook) during Black History Month.

As adults in the community we are suppose to be the ones setting the example we want our children to follow. This post (as well as Kyle Prast’s entry) may unfortunately stand supported now; but come a not so distant future, it will be viewed as nothing but complete intolerance.

Cindy, I normally appreciate and agree with your writings on Elmbrook. However, you have gone far beyond attacking the district and are now insulting its students that have fought against the man so that they may feel worthy of living. Shame. On. You.

6. Well, Jay, it looks like we’re going to have to agree to disagree. I don’t think sexuality awareness belongs in our schools.

I do hope that you can separate that from your assumption that I’m gay bashing. Not true. As I said in an e-mail to Shawn earlier, there’s a difference between flaming and being gay. The gay people I know (gasp! yes! I have gay friends!) don’t stand in hallways asking people to recognize their “right” to sexuality any more than I do. It doesn’t mean they are oppressed. It means they are socialized.

7. I still fail to see how spending the day being silent accomplishes anything.

8. Jay, are you one? One would assume so since you are so agitated. As a Christian, I must state that anything other than heterosexual sex practiced in marriage is condemned as sin by God, prevents the practioners of such from being in the Kingdom. It is also the duty of Christians to point out sin so that those who do it are convicted to repent and thus be saved.

9. El Gato, I’m stepping in here. There’s not need to get personal, and certainly not on my blog.

10. Good grief, Gato. Scripture also condemns blended fiber clothing, cheese burgers, and judging your neighbor.

11. Dirt off ya shouldas... says:

Glad to see that regardless of your stance on the issue “El Gato”‘s comments are still not tolerated by the majority of the group here. If you bring religion in, we’re all sinners and none of us are in any position to judge. Way to keep the love alive for your brothers, people, even if you don’t agree with them!

12. Jay Wirth says:

1. Dan, good work finding a minor loophole in my argument. The day of silence is not about ‘celebrating’ anything, it’s about being comfortable with yourself/being comfortable with gay individuals, and allowing everyone a chance to feel accepted. Heterosexuals don’t need a day to commemorate their acceptance in society (they have it 24/7, 365), our government does a good enough job protecting their rights.

2. Cindy, where should we be taught about sexuality awareness? In the media after individuals such as Matthew Shepard are beaten to death because they are gay?

3. El gato, this “Kingdom” you speak of is no Kingdom I yearn to belong to. Also, there is great proof of civilizations existing long before the bible speaks of them. How do you explain fossil humans in Africa and Asia several million years ago? And finally no, I am not “one.” I’m assuming mean homosexual, but I’m not sure seeing as how you are too big of a scaredy cat (Pun intended) to even say the word.

4. Several people have stated a concern with gay individuals acting as “flaming.” In my opinion it is no different than a heterosexual, male, meathead parading around town in a cut off shirt that reads “welcome to the gun show”. I’m not a fan of either, but to each their own.

5. Kathryn, thank you for yet again for serving us as the voice of reason.

13. In my opinion it is no different than a heterosexual, male, meathead parading around town in a cut off shirt that reads “welcome to the gun show”.

Whoo Hoo Jay, we agree on something else!

14. There should be a National Day of Silence for ALL kids who are bullied and harassed for reasons other than their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.

Who speaks for them, all the kids who are miserable at school but don’t have a national organization and political leaders on their side?

The National Day of Silence pushes the specific LGBT agenda. It’s more about that than respect for others.

Do you think there will be a National Day of Silence for miscellaneous outcast students anytime soon?

Not likely.

15. Al Goreleone says:

1) Mary you got it right. You could hold a month of silence for all the bullying that goes on in the schools.

2) We need to respect our fellow beings but no special treatment. Special treatment for one group means discrimination towards another.

16. Jay Wirth says:

Mary I agree 100% with what you say. It is a larger issue, thank you for broadening the scope. The Day of Silence pertains to a more specifically distinguished group of people, that find it easy to bond together over their commonality. Although outcast students are non less important, there isn’t per say a group at school that addresses them collectively. Strong point, and well said.

17. Again, I ask…how does spending the day being silent promote change?

18. Sheesh, Dan. I hope you develop some bed-side manner or go into research. 🙂

As a MOM, I’m glad to know my kids can defend themselves, but I will mourn the day any of them are “willing” to beat anyone. Middle school should not be about any of the things you described.

19. I don’t know anything about the demonstration other than what Kyle wrote, but I expect the purpose of the silence and the pins, etc. is to raise awareness.

20. To all of you who can’t seem to stand to hear what God says, I will provide the specific verses to backup what I paraphrased if you desire. When you reject what I said, you reject what God said. That’s all there is to it.

Cindy, I did not get personal with Jay. I merely inquired as to the cause for his violent reaction. He admits he isn’t a believer and that’s his choice. He will still stand before God one day.

Kathryn please find me the verse that says not to judge your neighbor in the proper context. Before you answer I suggest you read 1 Cor. 6. I’m amazed how people say what they think the Bible says without actually reading it!

Romans 1 26-27:
    “For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.”

In conclusion, please go back to my original post and note that I said God condemns ALL sex outside of marriage between a man and woman. I don’t like the public schools doing anything that promotes anything other than sex within marriage. I know who’s side I’m on, so that’s all that matters to me! Funny how standing on God’s word gets on branded as hateful isn’t it? Maybe more of you should read the instruction manual.

21. Gato, I don’t think you’re hateful. I just think we miss out on grace when we are so focused on sin and condemning one another. We can play chapter and verse all night, there is plenty of text to support two or three sides of any argument.

1 Cor. 6 is addressing the Church at Corinth. Paul doesn’t tell the believers to take up their rulers and smite the unbelievers on the knuckles. He is telling them how to conduct themselves.

We do interpret scripture, and we must. I contend that you do it too. You once told me that the Old Testament was “nothing” but the history of a failed people, but you quote it liberally when it supports your position. If you want to be a strict literalist, you gotta give up the cotton-poly blends and the cheese burgers, and bind the “shema” on your forehead. I don’t know about you, but I’m not there.

I have to start my interpretations with Christ as the lens. If it doesn’t jibe with his conduct and character, I’m going to question that interpretation. For context, consider Matthew 5:22, but keep in mind that “fool” and “rascal” are moral condemnations, not comments on intellect.

I do judge, of course. It’s human nature, but I am conscious of the fact that it’s not my place, not my privilege.

22. Cheri M. says:

I would like to suggest the merits of a GT (Gifted-Talented) Day, drawing attention to the perils of being a thinker in a society of sheeple (people who follow like sheep). Perhaps the students could dress in mis-matched clothing, wear big glasses (I would supply the Groucho Marx glasses) and propeller beanies.

Optional would be adding a sport coat, blazer, suspenders, bow tie, or dressing as a book with a worm coming out of it. I once saw a clever homemade costume like this, constructed of painted cardboard suspended from the shoulders with straps, rather like a large vest over the clothing. A few dozen of these in school would set the tone for the day.

Students so dressed would answer questions only with big words, and in the fashion of long diatribes. Before proceeding to answer, they would spout their various credentials and qualifying test scores, lexile levels, etc for the benefit of all to hear.

If this satirical exaggeration of cartoonish sterotyping were to draw any negative reaction, perhaps a giggle, smirk, stare, or rolling of the eyes, then we’d’ve proven our community to be quite intolerant. GASP!

At the end of the day the students could sit around in self-righteous indignation and discuss their pain.

Or not. Maybe any they could continue to emphasize ways in which they are like others, and what they have in common, thereby continuing to build bridges.

(Hope this got you chuckling… and thinking as well.)

On a more serious and sincere note, whether the disenfranchised are the ones acting out in anger as at Columbine or whether the disenfranchised are the victims… Perps or victims, the problem is the disenfranchisement. I believe it’s up to each of us to heal that by finding the good in eachother and lifting eachother up. I do not believe that having difference days helps.

23. It’s not a difference day. It’s being silent in awareness that there are people all around you who are good people and are gay or support civil rights. That’s the point.

The point isn’t to show differences or celebrate fags, or a homo erect us (pun intended) day. You can’t really say anything about it if you haven’t experienced it.

24. No, Dan. No one used to steal my lunch money.

I’m not actually advocating a National Day of Silence for all kids who are bullied.

My point is that having a National Day of Silence to highlight the abuse of LGBT students discriminates against the kids who get picked on for other reasons.

But if there is going to be a Day of Silence, then I think it should include all the victims of bullying.

I don’t think recognizing that human beings deserve to be treated with respect, such as NOT beating the snot out of people, breeds wusses. It breeds responsible individuals.

It would be more constructive to acknowledge that no one should be the victim of harassment, rather than singling out the LGBT kids.

It’s wrong to torment another student. End of story.

Bullies are the ones with the problem. No happy, healthy person takes pleasure in being cruel or threatening or making others miserable.

25. Cheri M. says:

Mary, I agree with you.

With the possible exception that “Bullies are the ones with the problem.” It may start out that way… but they quickly spread the problem to others, like carriers of a contagious virus to which they seem immune: infecting those they bully.

When schools, scouts, churches, and families have a zero-tolerance policy for bullying AND when supportive adults are helping each child find, acknowledge and develop their own talents so they have SELF-satisfaction, there will be less of a sense of identifying ones’s self relative to others.

I once read a great article condensed from one of the “Chicken Soup” books. It discussed pecking order. The article described in simple terms how adults engage in this, establishing pecking order in the first brief minutes of conversation by observing the cut of clothes, brand of watch and inquiring as to each others’s job, car, degrees, etc… as though the one with the most stuff wins.

I chuckle and wonder when people might start wondering how much service to their fellow man one has provided? Rebuilding after a natural disaster, lending an ear or shoulder to cry on, volunteering in impoverished areas, teaching a skill someone wanted to learn. Now THAT would be some pecking order.

When I consider all these things, I realize the problem is not “out there” somewhere for others to solve. The next generation is learning from us, individually and collectively. If we share the satisfying things we’ve found to invest our time in, perhaps there would be that much less bullying? And more service to our fellow man?

[Shawn, saying that “You can’t really say anything about it if you haven’t experienced it.” discounts the ability to learn from others. Most us know people in the schools. We may “experience” learning through others, not always direct observation. We learn from TV, newspapers, blogs, books, and other people everyday. For example, we know things about Abraham Lincoln, Elvis, Jesus, etc even though we did not live in their times.]

26. Kathryn, you read way too much into other people’s comments! I never said to hate anyone,
    or what should be done to them. I only quoted what God has said. You obviously are one of those who pick and choose what it is that you will believe in the Bible. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. It is what it is and will be that way until the end. Too much liberal thinking and too little obedience in the church these days. Seems like that was man’s problem right from the beginning.
    I think God was quite clear when he said He would have ALL men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the TRUTH. The truth is there for us and the choice is ours.

We are in a post-Christian era in the U.S. and we are losing true faith just like Europe did. The only truth is given to us in God’s word but we won’t accept it anymore. We blindly follow church doctrines and don’t read for ourselves what it is that God desires. Christ made it quite clear that church leaders can be hypocrites. I’ve noted before that when the prophets came to the people with messages from God, the people wanted to kill them (except for Noah), so I’m not at all surprised by the reaction to God’s word that I get.

27. Shawn and Jay: After rereading the comments I see where you have both referenced LGBT AND civil rights issues. How generous of an organization taking up LGBT rights to cloak their cause in civil rights. They’re two different things. There is nothing on the surface of these poeple’s skin that would cause discrimination. It is by public actions that they are drawn to scrutiny. It’s a sleazy technique used to further LGBT rights.

However, as you’ve done here, being against the public school-day recognition of LGBT rights is an automatic FAIL for someone like me, because you also accuse me of being against civil rights issues.

I thoroughly support men and women of any race to have equal recognition and opportunity in a school environment. I don’t support the “right” of LGBT students and allies to disrupt the learning environment for all students in a public, taxpaid, school.

28. Not speaking for a day by a handful of students is by no measure a disruption. Further, there are far worse things that disrupt the school day than a DOS so don’t try to cloak your argument in a “concern for disrupting taxpayer-funded public education.” Heck, spirit days are more of a disruption to class.

When I spoke of civil rights I wasn’t referencing the DOS but the movement in general. Being against LGBT rights is being against civil rights (not all of them, but gays are people too!)

What do you know of what actually happens on the DOS? Your inside source is feeding you garbage.

29. Homosexuals have all of the rights of anyone. They want special rights that are reserved for normal married people. By normal I mean heterosexual…and homosexuality is by no means normal. A quick look at the function of sex organs as a means of procreation will show what normal sex is. Sexual gratification by other means for pleasure may be “the norm” but it is not normal in the biological sense, and it’s certainly not proper in the Christian sense no matter what liberals say!

People should keep their sexual preferences and habits private. It’s the radical homosexual men that give pause to me. Seeing them on video performing vile sex acts in public should be a cause for immediate arrest! Sadly the males of most species seem to be capable of really crazy behavior when it comes to sex.

30. Good thing that marriage is a legal institution. Churches can do whatever the hell (pun intended) they want to do, but marriage as a legal institution should not discriminate.

And Gato, I’d ask you to send me some of those videos of “men performing vile sex acts” that you watch but I’m afraid you’ve probably drooled all over them!

Luckily, government should not give a cat’s ass what scripture says in establishing legal policy. After all, you can’t get married in a church unless you are legally married. And homosexuals do not have the same rights as heterosexuals. That’s like saying women have the same rights as men. In theory, yes. But pay disparity is big, discrimination and hate crimes are also huge.

I forgot that ‘conservative’ translates into ‘money before people,’ not the other way around. Lots of things are an abomination and are still legal.

Maybe we should ABATE 😉 from poking our noses into others people’s lives and judging them and worry about our own grace and piety.

31. Shawn, your comment about the videos was uncalled for. Your hatred of God, and then making personal attacks for those who call you on it, only show that your platitudes about tolerance only apply to those who agree with your liberal positions. As usual, you throw in your red herring comments to deflect away from the weakness of your arguments. Unlike you, I did NOT judge anyone. I did however point out what God says about the ACT.

32. My apologies, Gato. I didn’t mean to imply that you said to hate or abuse anyone. It took the statement that standing on God’s word gets one branded as hateful to mean that you were feeling attacked; I don’t find you hateful.

33. That said, Gato, we certainly have theological differences. I don’t think there is anything more to be said on the subject, though. We are way off track here, and the others are still arguing about the original thread. So, I’m signing out.

34. Kathryn, don’t you wonder who caused the theological differences? Do you think God tried to make it so hard to understand what He says in His word, or do you think it’s people who don’t like what it says and invent their own interpretation and then attract similarly minded people to follow them instead of God? For example, God clearly says we are “saved by grace through faith” which is “sola dei” in Latin. The Roman Catholic church says it’s not true. Now why would God say it and man deny it? Could it be that the church doctrine was invented in the past to make for political power?

I stand on the simple word I read and don’t listen to doctrines of men which God warns us against!

35. No, I don’t worry about it. I don’t think God is bothered by our differences nearly so much as the differences bother us.

36. Jay Wirth says:

Hello Kitty, you stated that “Sexual gratification by other means for pleasure may be ‘the norm’ but it is not normal in the biological sense.” I’m sure you believe that god created all living things correct? Then how do you explain the behavior of penis fencing bonobos and other homosexual tendencies among god’s animals?

To me, nothing is more “normal” than an animal’s instinct.

37. Jay, I believe you already stated that you don’t want to be part of God’s kingdom. If that is your position, you don’t belong in the conversation. Bye!

38. Jay Wirth says:

Gato, I may not want to be a part of god’s kingdom…however I do wish liberty and justice for all, something you don’t. Therefore I’d like to know your opinion on god’s homosexual creations. And because you seem rather omniscient when it comes to his truth, I’m sure you’ll be able to provide an accurate response.

39. Ah, so we should erase all sense of socialization and appeal to our animal instincts.

Worked for Rome, right?

40. Jay Wirth says:

Cindy, I’m not quite sure where I said “we should erase all sense of socialization and appeal to our animal instincts.” I wasn’t talking about OUR (meaning humans) instincts at all. I was merely asking El gato why homosexuality is exhibited in the animals his god created, because he said it’s not “normal.”

Also, I’d like for you to respond to my question on when people should learn about homosexuality. I’ve noticed you tend to choose simple questions to respond to that usually require nothing but a dash of wit. Try to give me a solid response on this one.

41. Please abate from your attacks on my person and I will on yours, my feline friend.

42. I don’t know when “people” should learn about homosexuality. I don’t make decision for “people.” As a fairly conservative woman, I feel those lessons are unique to each individual and better given by a parent or loving caretaker.

Since I don’t pretend omniscience, I guess I’ll say I don’t care when as much as I care where. School isn’t the where I had in mind for my children.

Also, I think my remark about animal instincts was right on. Just because we have them doesn’t mean we should always give into them. It really is one of the historical reasons Rome fell, and I feel strongly that the lack of social mores is at risk of contributing to the decline of our own civilization.

I kind of like what we’ve done with ourselves for the most part. It makes me sad to think we might be giving it all away to organizations that round kids up to put zippers across their mouths in the classroom.

43. Well we agree on one thing: speaking out or raising awareness is always a bad idea. Awareness for breast cancer, disabilities, hate crimes and injustice is always a bad idea.

Let’s just brush it all under the rug and (pretend to) be hunky-dory bread-and-butter Americans. Public schools are places where we teach academics as well as socialization. Socialization includes being able to accept others and immerse yourself in situations where you are with people who you are unlike.

It makes us look nice, AND it’s in the Speaker/Bloomberg vision for Brookfield. Homogeneous. I guess y’all do wanna be homos!

In a perfect world, everyone is the same and no one is tied to a fence post to die.

In life (and surprisingly to some in Brookfield) there is no such thing as normal or perfect.

44. Cindy & Co. make it sound like this organization is forcing students to zip up and have this DOS. I’d kindly disagree.

I believe Elmbrook is following the First Amendment in the US Consititution – Freedom of Speech. If students want to participate in this, then they’re more than happy to do so.

I don’t think some people fully understand some issues – LGBT being one of those. Heck, I don’t even fully understand it. But I don’t see this whole thing about choice. Personally, I don’t see why anyone would want to simply “be” LGBT. It’s not exactly the “popular” thing to do by any means. People get murdered for being LGBT.

So OK, students go silent for one day…one day…to not only remember that there are people out there being attacked, murdered, and bullied, but to also stand with them. If anything, that’s a good thing to be practiced. If anything, that’s exactly what our schools are designed to do – bring unity to our society instead of being seperate.

I feel culture and ways of life are items that should be taught in schools. It’s all part of being out in the workplace and in the society. Education in that respect is a necessity.

45. Sorry, Shawn, you got caught in the spam filter.

46. Thanks, Dan. I was hoping someone would get there.

47. Winegirl says:

How about a “national day of silence,” period?

48. We’re a fairly diverse community in terms of religions and national origins. Our schools integrate students with physical and developmental differences. Our children are accustomed to diversity. I really doubt they are disturbed by one more difference in the class room.

49. You can’t lead students in prayer. Just as I believe that LGBT awarness shouldn’t be led by teachers. If kids wanna pray on their own, go ahead.

This is a student-run event.

50. I’m puzzled.

I didn’t know people who are LGBT are part of apparently their own religious sect. Being LGBT and being Catholic, as an example, are two completely different things.

I stand with Shawn on this. It’s a student run event where they participate in it. Since it’s silent, I’d contend that the disruption level is rather low.

51. Didn’t Andy Smith’s info to Kyle Prast say there was a faculty adviser for the club?

52. Oh, Winegirl, I do understand. It’s all getting a little old, isn’t it?

53. Jay Wirth says:

There may be a faculty advisor for the club, but other student groups with a religious affiliations, such as SOAR, also have them.

54. SOAR? Please explain.

55. Students On Another Road…the name keeps clear of any trouble, however last year in an issue of the Banner that came home they spoke of how the money they raised in a bake sale was, “truly a gift from God.”

Don’t worry Dan, Cindy, & El gato, the big man upstairs has found his way into our schools…but don’t bother writing about how that could potentially be considered a violation of the separation of church and state.

In addition, a few years back under Dr Joe there was a worship service known as “The Egg Project” advertised on the school announcements, in addition to the distribution of eggs that contained quotations from the bible at all points of entry.

In my opinion that’s a tad more invasive than a few silent kids who gather after a day of school to simply converse. Wouldn’t you have to agree?

56. So, if both sides are offended, every thing is ok, right?

Or do you consider that question flippant.

57. I know that wasn’t directed at me, but of course it’s flippant Cindy. You brought up the religion point and Jay just proved that there’s plenty of it in our schools. In fact, even more than the gay day.

I wrote a blog about SOAR a while back and how Mrs. Gibson sent out letters to kids houses. And how they are a group that is not school-sponsored but has a faculty adviser (unpaid).

The DOS group does not receive funding for their group as I understand it and the faculty adviser is not paid for their advising as with a number of school groups.

It’s time for your fairly conservative values to line up. Are you against special interest groups in our schools or are you for them?

Or will you pick and choose based on your fairly hypocritical stance on this issue?

58. Of course I pick and choose. That’s what people do!

Mrs. Gibson sent letters to homes about donations for African schools, not SOAR. And they were letters paid for privately and mailed, not sent home with students.

Are you just going to throw out every infraction you can think of and call it proof? Line up the argument and start from scratch. LGBT agendas don’t belong in high schools, no matter how they are cloaked.

59. Jay Wirth says:

Cindy, the harsh reality is people in HS kill themselves or feel the need to because their differences are not accepted. LGBT groups help give them a shred of dignity. Is one day of silence too much to ask?

60. No, this is about something more. LGBT people shouldn’t be embarrassed about their LGBT status and NEED a “shred of dignity.” Your argument implies they aren’t capable of dignity without the attention of others.

61. StraightGrandmother says:

I found this blog by pure random chance. It is now two years later and untold number of gay kids have killed themselves, as a direct result of being bullied by straight kids IN SCHOOL.

HELL yes we need a day of silence and to bad the parents are not forced to go to school that day also. Shame on all of you who wish to continue to perpetrate discrimination against GLBT youth. Hell yes they need awarness and attention and acceptance as a full member of society. Full rights, EQUAL rights for every gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender person.
    A day of silence is not so much for the gays but to get it through the thick heads of the straight bullies that these kids flat out don’t deserve their ridicule and condemnation. But I see where the stright kids get it, they learn it in thier nice Elm Grove and Brookfield homes by the horrible mommies and daddies who posted here (exceptions to the people who posted positively for GLBT youth) . All the rest of you are throughly pathetic. So backward. Look your kids are learning from you and then taking your attitude and value system and beliefs to school where they are causing great harm that takes these gay kids years and years to overcome. You begrudge them one measly little day, one day that can bring a lot of comfort to these gay kids, and YOU would deny them that???? Wake up and smell the coffee, schools are for all kids, and kids that need special attention like high achievers and under achievers get special help. Gay kids are a minority and they need help and understanding and aceptance most especially during thier growing up years. And you would deny them that. You all of you are small people, small very small people. You actually make me sick to my stomach.

62. Well what do you know. I’ve been told off by a perfect stranger. Again.