Elmbrook to elect officers tomorrow night

They’ll use a special meeting to do so, according to Elmbrook board member Tom Gehl. I think there’s room for a new president, but we’ll have to wait to see for sure.

One thing I don’t see on the agendas: an oath of office for the newly elected. Trust me, it’s not a great day for Elmbrook schools.

Update – See comments – the oath was administered April 8th.

Comments

Jones and Marcello were sworn in April 8th, but by law can’t take their seats until May 13th.

2. Well there it is. Thanks for the direction.

So why will they be able to vote on officers the 29th of April?

Good question. I think the old members are still elected officials, so there is definitely a quorom, but it would seem odd if Jones or Marcello vote and/or are elected to a position when they aren’t even offically a board member yet. Let’s see, let me consult Gibson’s…er… Robert’s Rules of Order.

4. Such a man of mystery. I’ll figure out who you are someday, you know. Very few people have Robert’s Rules tucked under their arm!

Don’t look for the book! lol, I am not that much of a man of process. I thought maybe you had me pegged all ready, my address was mistakenly posted for a while on the BrookfieldNOW site. I’ll let you in on the secret when our paths cross, I think the last time that was was at WHMS’ Oklahoma! at the Wilson Center, but we’ve never officially met.

6. Oh good grief.

(I hope I wasn’t singing along or anything…)

7. By state statute the newly elected members take office on the 4th Monday in April which is today. The only thing that might be strange is the need to have a special meeting to elect board officers. Most districts do this at the first regularly scheduled meeting on or after the 4th Monday in April.
    Legally they can vote for the new officers tomorrow.

8. Thanks!

JS/BrookfieldNow still says they don’t take office until May 13th… wonder where the disconnect is?

10. Cheri M. says:

Having been at recent board meetings for the “HGD” agenda item, I would tend to believe that MJS inserted May 13th as their next known meeting date for the board… perhaps they listened to the dates set at recent board meetings for future discussion of “HGD”… and and did not perform separate research into board meeting dates for other topics of discussion?

11. There is no correlation between scheduled school board meeting dates and the date set by state statute as to when elected officials start their terms. It makes one pause to think about what else that has been published may not represent actual conditions.

12. Quotable says:

Here’s the article and headline from Lisa Sink’s April 8th coverage. It correctly mentions when the elected officials start their terms, and tells us the meeting date (erroneously) during which she believes these elected officials will be first acting in their official capacity. http://www.brookfieldnow.com/watch/?watch=14&date=4/29/2008&pagenumber=3

Yes, any number of things are “bottom lined” incorrectly for us in the media. While taking it in we must observe and make our own connections, perform our own reality checks, and think things through for ourselves.

Have a great day.