Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle

Yes, I know, some of you will read far more into that than necessary. Do yourself a favor and look here before you go ballistic.

Earlier today a reader e-mailed me this:

Barack Obama’s campaign scrambled Tuesday to set the record straight about remarks the Democratic presidential candidate made on Memorial Day where he said his uncle helped liberate the Auschwitz death camp at the end of World War II.

There were two obvious problems with the tale: Auschwitz was liberated by the Soviet Army, and Obama’s American mother was an only child.

Now Reuters has a little clarification:

Democrat Barack Obama admitted on Tuesday he was wrong to say his uncle helped liberate the Nazis’ Auschwitz concentration camp after Republicans said Soviet troops freed the camp.

1. Dave Frank says:

Honest mistake, and nothing like being pinned down under imaginary sniper fire.

From the same article:

“Burton said in the statement that Obama’s great uncle served in the 89th Infantry Division that entered Germany in 1945 and on April 4 overran Ohrdruf, a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp.”

2. Al Goreleone says:

I invented the Internet under duress

3. Anonymous says:

How is that nothing like Hillary’s story of sniper fire. Obama said his uncle helped liberate Auschwitz. Not great uncle, and not a subcamp of Buchenwald. Why do you continue to defend this garbage?

Honest mistake, no way. Lying/pandering for votes sure. At least in Hillary’s case there was sniper fire in the hills nearby, a small snippet of truth. There were more WMDs in Iraq than there were Obama relatives liberating Auschwitz, but he continues to get a pass. Unbelievable!

5. Kathryn says:

One death camp with a foreign name vs. another death camp with a foreign name: the death camp part is not in dispute. Uncle vs. Great Uncle is irrelevant to me; the relative is not in dispute. Fishing for votes? Sure.

6. What throws me is how he almost always blows it when he’s off the script. I say it’s a pattern and could well be a clue.

7. Kathryn says:

Could be. You can find McCain gaffs on the internet, too. I think candidates have to talk a lot; they are going to get it wrong sometimes.

Did anyone see the item about the soccer officials who confused Latvia with Lithuania? Played the wrong national anthem, raised the wrong flag, lost their jobs. Stuff happens.

8. Dave Frank says:

You are right people will definitely vote for him if his uncle liberated Auschwitz but not if his great uncle liberated Buchenwald. We should all be outraged….

It’s the pattern of making things up that’s disturbing. I don’t understand why any of them think it advances their cause, from McCain to Clinton to Obama. Of course, however, if Obama is elected, let’s hope his mouth doesn’t cash a check we can’t cover when he’s holding his high level meetings with our terrorist enemies like Iran’s I’m-a-nut-job.

10. Kathryn says:

Do you think he made it up, BD?

I am a person who gets details wrong. Ideas, over-arching, principles I’m good with, but if you asked what I paid for my lunch today, I’d have to look it up. I could tell you who my immigrant ancestor is, by name, and then tell you he arrived 10 years after Columbus. I might realize the error a day or two later.

I don’t buy it as a casual mistake, neither from him or others. You don’t bring up points of fact you find so necessary and important to bolster your ‘patriotism’ and then conveniently forget the details. I also find it comical now, that the military confirms his great uncle was present at a work camp at Ohrdruf (I don’t know if they confirmed he was part of the liberating force), not Buchenwald. Even the campaign didn’t clarify the fact correctly.

12. Kathryn says:

Yeah, you’d like them to get it right at least when their focused on it.

13. Dave Frank says:

In case anyone is actually interested in Ohrduf, check this out:

Can we all least agree to not minimize his great uncle’s service. If he was in the 89th Division he was there and no doubt saw some terrible things. He is still alive by the way.

Good point Dave, hope no one took it as my intention to minimize anyone’s service. It’s the ultimate sacrifice to serve for your country and I admire his great uncle for doing so.

15. Dave Frank says:

Ablsolutely, and I want you to know I didn’t take your comment that way.

I should probably have put a disclaimer on the link. There are some really disturbing, albeit historically significant, photos there so be aware.

16. Dan Qayle says:

When I made a gaff I heard about for years from the media. They said a person who made a gaff was dumb. Do you think that this will be the case with Obama ? I don’t think so he’s not a conservative.