I just couldn’t resist

This came by e-mail today:

1. You do realize that I had to swipe that, right? 🙂

2. Swipe away.

3. I don’t see the point. Are you saying that because Obama grew up after Vietnam, he is unqualified?

Or is there some more vulgar connotation?

4. Well, Capper, since you insist on being schooled: Obama chose to express his youth as an angry and militant African man (read the book!) while McCain chose to spend his youth serving in the American military.

How did you get Vietnam from either of those pictures?

5. Shawn Matson says:

“an angry and militant African man”

Funny reason to criticize Obama seeing as McCain has a tell-tale anger problem that has been documented by many. On top of that, he was a military (militant even?) man himself who is known for being aggressive and combative.

So they are both angry and militant, so what?

What does that leave?

6. Cindy, that was a photo taken as Obama reunited with long-lost family in Africa. Are you suggesting that because Obama is of African origin he is somehow unqualified to be president?

7. Shawn, have you read the book? Plus, yet again, you attempt proof without evidence.

Folkbum, have you read the book?

8. Kathryn says:

You can’t seriously be suggesting that the person who assembled that image was trying to make a literary allusion.

9. Shawn Matson says:

Yes, and the evidence is that he called his wife bad names. That he attacked fellow Senators in a committee meeting. That he attacked a reporter who asked him a question he didn’t want to answer. I’ve shown you the articles and youtubes of him doing that stuff.

10. Shawn Matson says:

Now that one is comical, he got angry, said ‘Please’ and recoiled in his chair… the horror of it all!

12. ‘Tis the best Shawn could do.

13. Kelly Frank says:

McCain supporters:

Is there anything redeeming about Obama in your opinion?

I may not choose to vote for McCain, but I do not see him as an evil, suspicious, unfit person. I believe that I have the choice to pick who I think will be better. I will pick Obama, but I won’t cut you down for your opinion to pick McCain. Can you provide that same courtesy for your views?

A solid debate is good for all, but the level of this conversation has gotten a little too spiteful for my liking. The conversation on here used to be interesting, but has definitely lost its appeal as of late now that personal attacks are taking center stage.

14. Shawn Matson says:

“He was visibly angry”

Again ignoring the actual facts by making snide remarks.

15. Sure. Obama’s managed a strong relationship with his family, seems genuinely joined to his wife, and adores his daughters. He’s been active in the black community near Chicago for many years, but I don’t know how much work he’s done there. Also, it seems he’s intelligent.

It doesn’t mean I want his priorities to morph into America’s priorities, though.

16. Kelly…just why do you think Obama will be better than McCain considering that he lacks experience. Is it because he will rubber stamp the liberal Dems in Congress?

17. Kelly Frank says:

Grant – there are parts of your thinking that I will not understand or agree with. However, I will not throw accusations your way. I just have a different opinion than you.

I think that Obama provides a breath of fresh air, a new way of thinking, a vision for the country that I am inspired by. We have had years and years of born and bred politicians in office for a long time. The experience that Obama has is DIFFERENT than McCain, not less valuable in my opinion. Obama’s core values and goals are more closely alligned with the ones that I hold. His vision of what our country can be is one that I would like to help bring to life.

I am willing to support someone new that may be able to take the country in a new direction. Can I be guaranteed that he can do everything that he says – no. But same can be said for McCain – he’s not going to be able to do everything he’s promising either. However, I like the ideas that Obama is bringing to the table better than the ideas that McCain is bringing.

Again, this is my opinion. I am entitled to it. You can do your best to try to change my mind, just as I can do my best to change yours. The difference is that I will not call you, or your candidate names in the process.

18. Kelly, you speak of Obama’s “vision.” Can you articulate that vision?

19. Kelly Frank says:

You know what he stands for. You have read his book. You just don’t agree with it. Don’t bait me into a debate that you already have made known that my position will be “defeated” by yours. That is not what my post was for originally.

I know that your opinion is different than mine. I just don’t feel the need to call McCain names, or put forward known untruths to make a point that he is not my candidate of choice.

The two biggest issues for me, on a personal level, that I believe in Obama and his vision are these:
    1)affordable health care for everyone. This is a very personal issue since we have, in the past, had to take on providing our own health care and it was rediculous what the cost was. The financial pressure it put on us was great, but made clear to me how impossible it must be for millions of Americans to provide healthcare for their families on far less income than we were making.
    2) the war in Iraq. We need to get out. RESPONSIBLY. I believe that we were misled in getting into the war (see any number of newpaper articles lately) and now that we know better, we have a responsibility to get out.

20. I know what he stands for. I did read the book. What scares me is that YOU don’t know what he stands for, but you’ll still vocally support him.

1) Do you know Obama’s plan to make this happen?
    2) Obama was for immediate withdrawal. Is that what you want, or are you happier with his new “golly maybe I was wrong” position? You know – the one that’s just like McCain’s?

21. Kelly, you didn’t make any real points about HOW he would do anything. Remember that a President doesn’t write legislation. He just signs or vetoes it. So you must assume he will be a rubber stamp for the liberal Democrats in Congress. Who is going to pay for your so-called “affordable healthcare for all”? Like all liberals you appear to think that there is a free lunch, or you think the rich should pay for the poor…that’s socialism in any language. Obama is nothing but a phony blowhard and is saying what he thinks will win the election…and the monkeys are buying the “free bananas in every cage” baloney! Bear in mind that I am not a fan of McCain or the Republicans, but the liberal Dems will be our undoing and I have enough sense to recognize it.

22. Cindy, my point is that there must be some other picture–in the book, out of the book, or on the web–of Obama as a young man. In college. Organizing in Chicago. Doing his radical thing in the US, wearing the clothes he wore every day of his life except when opposed to posing with family in Africa.

If the point of the image is to draw a comparison between how McCain and Obama spent their youth, there is no reason to use an unrepresentative photo of Obama unless it’s to paint his as The Other. Put a picture of him marching next to McCain in a flightsuit, I don’t care. This, though, smells of an awfully ugly subtext.

23. Subtext? Care to describe what you smell? If you are worried about something put it to the open.

In Dreams from My Father, Obama describes his trip to Kenya as a big part of his post-“organizer” pre-Harvard days. This photo is from that trip. I’m not sure what you’re getting at, but if you can’t spell it out any more clearly, then I’m not sure it should be an issue.

Read the book yet?

24. Shawn Matson says:

Cindy, don’t play none-the-wiser. I know you’re smarter than that. A trip to Africa is not representative of Obama’s youth.

I’ve read the book and I like what I see. No silver spoon. Some mistakes. Some blemishes. Even some things I don’t agree.

But underneath all the sludge and slime that is dredged out about him is a man, i believe, who believes in the power of people, not dollars–and the inherent value and importance of each and every person.

Kelly, i’m really glad you shared with us your feelings very eloquently.

When it comes down to it, it’s regular folks who want a better life for not only ourselves and our families, but our nation as a whole.

My job entails a lot of meeting, watching, and interacting with average folks. It’s fascinating to see that everyone just wants a better life. Not mountains of money or expensive junkets to Europe.

25. Shawn, you’ve become downright odd in the last few weeks. I really liked the curious-about-the-world Shawn. I don’t even recognize this guy. Never in my life did I dream I’d put you on the same level as Andy Smith – hate filled and mean. Whatever happened to make you this way, it doesn’t have to stick. You can choose to be nicer that you’ve become.

26. Cindy, isn’t it odd that the Obama backers sing his praises but can’t list any of his “changes” with details that will improve the quality of our lives? He’s just the candidate du jour and they love him for what he is…a bag of hot air with dark skin that shows how tolerant and progressive they are.

Did you notice Shawn shut his blog down? I suppose it was for lack of readership. He has gone the way of Michael Moore lately!

27. Not just odd, Grant, but sad. What is it that people are so willing to be led off the cliff for a revival sermon now and then? Head to church if you want a feel-good moment. POTUS needs more than words.

28. Shawn Matson says:

How was I hate-filled? I wasn’t. I am still curious about the world, but am also facing the realities of the world.