Obama couldn’t justify the effort: Trip to visit wounded soldiers cancelled

Even if you never listen to me, you’ve got to read this, including the update, from MSNBC.com. Obama, our rock star candidate, couldn’t take the press with him.

H/T: Freedom Eden

1. And if he went to see the wounded, he would have been castigated with using them as political pawns. Some people are never happy.

At least he didn’t vote down veteran benefits like McCain.

2. Capper, really?

He had the visit PLANNED. He couldn’t have used them as political pawns because no press would be there to witness his visit.

Dude, you lose.

3. Um, no, dudette. Bush’s pentagon nixed the visit.

I never lose. Bwah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah!

4. Did you read that? It says what I said. Obama was scheduled. The Pentagon told him no press (just like they’d tell any candidate.) Obama cancelled.

Obama’s campaign saying he thought he could do it without political controversy is SPIN.

Thanks for reinforcing my point with this link. I guess the decision is going to get a little weekend news cycle coverage.

No surprise, based on his responses elswhere in the blog, it’s apparent either he doesn’t read, or doesn’t understand what is posted or linked to.

6. Don’t you recall that the pentagon’s chief of staff issuing an order that military personel were not to be used for political purposes? Also, it seems tied in with the administration’s order that members of the foreign relations staff was not allowed to attend the event, which they would have if they were in America.

But the right-wingers would rather ignore those facts, stomp on freedoms, and worry about trivialities, since they have nothing else to go on.

Nice condescension Brookfield Dad. I am cut to the quick. Now if only your opinion mattered to me, I might have remembered it longer than it takes for this comment to be submitted.

7. I understood the Pentagon was enforcing an old rule, not making a new one. If you can show where this rule is newly written (DailyKos doesn’t count!), then I’ll reconsider my stand.

Capper, BrkfldDad’s opinion happens to matter a lot to me and I think to my readers. I don’t think you are winning friends or influencing people with your attitude.

8. Shawn Matson says:

He still didn’t vote down veteran’s benefits.

9. Huh?

10. Kathryn says:

That was one of capper’s first points. Maybe they are referring to the May GI bill vote.

11. Obama’s voted against veteran funding. I’ll go find it.

12. That’s right – Obama simply doesn’t show up!

McCain voted YES to H.R. 2642 (Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Act, 2008 ); Obama is Mr. Not Voting.

I remember that being an issue with him in another job he held…

13. Kathryn says:

I was just responding to the ‘huh?’ I’m not too impressed with either side on this one. I’m all for vets, but the word is turning into a sacred cow.

14. Sorry, Kathryn – I was answering Shawn’s slap now that I understood the statement.

15. Shawn Matson says:

Oh sorry, Obama missed that vote and you rail on him but McCain misses over 60% of Senate votes (which is almost double of the next highest) and you see that as a mere paltry fact.

Obama should have been there for that vote. Fortunately, I have the ability to admit that.

Maybe McCain forgets to show up to vote on bills. Or maybe he’s too busy trying to remember that Czechoslovakia isn’t a country (almost 18 years later)

It’s okay CK, I’ve got a thick skin! I do love how capper comes back in and reinforces his complete ignorance of the (quite old by the way) DOD ordinance against politicizing wounded, like it’s some vast right wing conspiracy. It only reaffirms the lack of foundation for his own opinions. If I really cared what he thought about me I wouldn’t post. I would guess the same for him, although he’d like to pretend otherwise – kind of like his choice of candidate’s world of make-believe.

17. Shawn, so, you can admit that Obama should have been there for a vote, but you can’t concede that McCain made a mistake in naming a country?

I still THINK of it as Czechoslovakia, and I’ve been there, have friends there, and know that it’s not. You’ll be over 30 someday, too.

By the way – did you notice that your candidate now agrees with McCain’s long-time policy regarding Iraq? Whatever will you do?

18. Shawn Matson says:

McCain’s been making the mistake for years now and has been corrected several times. It wasn’t just once.

And, on the Iraq matter i’m very disappointed in the language I am hearing now. More than you’d believe.

I’m not really an Obamabot and I am yearning for the Iowa Obama of the beginning of this year.

I tend to be an iconoclast and Obama is testing my hope. That being said, Obama’s missteps are mere crumbs when compared to McCain’s crumbling cookie.