The Bush Eulogies

I don’t think Bush will be demonized daily now that the Democrats have won. There’s evidence it’s already started in this opinion published in the Wall Street Journal.

Our failure to stand by the one person who continued to stand by us has not gone unnoticed by our enemies. It has shown to the world how disloyal we can be when our president needed loyalty — a shameful display of arrogance and weakness that will haunt this nation long after Mr. Bush has left the White House.

It seems we only elect a president these days in order to have a target for anger. I wonder who Democrats will be angry at now that they rule America? You know they’ll find someone.

1. I had a friend who posted on my facebook wall that said something to the effect of ‘when you wake up in the morning you will be in Barack Obama’s America, so you better respect that.’ He was, not surprisingly, an outspoken critic of Bush and spent the last 4 years denigrating him.

Color me the skeptic. While I appreciate and agree with the WSJ piece I predict such opinion will be rare, and on broadcast media mostly non-existent. There will be a brief period of hugs and kisses around the inauguration, and they may pull back slightly in the meantime, but the positives will be of the blue moon variety. Did you hear BO’s speech last night telling us of all the wrong in America. Who made it that way?And when a liberal tells you there’s work ahead he’s not talking literally. This is code for more and higher taxes. But I digress.

3. J. Strupp says:

Randy you crack me up. You’ll feel better soon I promise.

“It seems we only elect a president these days in order to have a target for anger.”

Yeah Cindy it SEEMS that way because it has BEEN that way for the last 8 years. You tend to have things flunge at you from the masses when you botch things all to hell consistantly for 8 years. And rightfully so too.

4. See, there it is. You claimed not to be a Bush basher in an earlier comment, but this one pretty much defines Bush bashing.

Will a new hobby be forced into your future?

5. Lucky Lady says:

Do you think the stock market drop was a reaction to Obama’s election? I do.

Today Obama will be let in on the top secret info only the President and closest cabinet members are privy to. Obama and company may have a new understanding of decisions made by the previous administration. Will Joe Biden be able to keep the secrets?

6. J. Strupp says:

Cindy, my comment is that I can understand the frustrations the American public has for this guy. President Bush’s record stands for itself. A President tends to get this kind of treatment as a result of his performance. I strongly disagree with President Bush’s politics and policies, obviously, but I’m not about to call him things like “stupid”, “ignorant”, “draft dodger”, etc. like some in the media and blogosphere do. I consider that bashing a guy.

I choose to stick to his results (or lack thereof)rather than personal attacks on his intelligence. Open disagreement with an administration’s policies is not bashing in my opinion.

7. Tinkerbell says:

Yes, I am very curious to see the new, enlightened Obama.

I rather hope that his new-found knowledge makes him a bit more respectful, less of a shouter, and inspires more of the soft-spoken wisdom, moderation, maturity, and grace that we saw exhibited by McCain.

McCain, by virtue of all he’s been through, has developed a realistic, balanced perspective on things, including the wonderful ability to laugh at himself and make unifying, actually funny jokes.

Obama has not exhibited this ability to create positives and connect with the populous in this way. As a substitute, time and again he magnified common gripes and assigned blame as a means for building unity against a common “enemy”. To the casual observer on a playground, these are the behaviors often exhibited by the under-confident.

Will Obama’s new-found knowledge help him exhibit respect toward others who’ve been walking a fine line in weilding power, amidst constraints? Or will Obama determine that the situations are more than he can deal with while facing the American public and declare Matrial Law as he ascends to the presidency?

8. “I wonder who Democrats will be angry at now that they rule America?”

The final vote isn’t until next week but we’ve narrowed the list to Amy Winehouse, Phil Spector and that guy in the Sonic ads.

9. No! Not the Sonic ads!

10. “Obama has not exhibited this ability to create positives and connect with the populous in this way.”

ohhh very funny…. This lack of connection must be why he got more votes.

11. Tinkerbell says:

Dear Dave, in taking the sentence out of context, you distort the message. Here is the balance, which you omitted. “As a substitute, time and again he magnified common gripes and assigned blame as a means for building unity against a common “enemy”.”

Yes, Obama connected with many however that connected was born from a sense of unity over a common enemy. Now that HE is the authority figure to be reviled for all ills in our country and world, he wants to change the rules. He wants adulation for the role of President, the role he previously assigned all blame to.

If you disagree, please state several positives around which you understand Obama built unity. In sharing these, you may help build a common knowledge base in this blogging community and we may find agreement… something positive around which to build unity.

12. Whether the left believes (or likes) it or not, I believe history will be kind to George W. Bush. The politics and policies (except for his ability to spend money like a drunken sailor) that he adhered to, especially in the face of overwhelming, virile hatred, will be championed as admirable and needed. Why? Because we were and still are in a world that is extremely dangerous. Not that the Cold War, WWII, WWI, Civil War, etc, were easier, it’s just that the enemy in those conflicts were definable, where now identifying the enemy is more difficult. Those difficult decisions fell on George W. Bush, and I believe he made all of his decisions the best he (or anyone) could, and frankly I feel more secure because of them.

I realize I am in the minority with that thinking, but talk to me in 5, 10, or 20 years, and I believe you’re going to see a much different and better picture of W than we’ve seen over the past eight years.

13. Tinkerbell says:

Kudos, Sean! Well spoken. I agree and have long admired many traits he exhibits.

I have always felt what you expressed. And on this site when invited to the Cum-ba-ya Obama fest I declined, citing the unadulterated hate of the past 8 years. As a long time athelete I do not adhere to the policy of love and kisses after losing to one’s opponent. Congratulations and a level of respect, yes. Joining the other team, no. Following the other team’s manager, no. Remembering how the other team played, yes.
    I’ll join your minority.

15. Tinkerbell and Randy….thanks.

Randy, your comments are interesting and echo some of the things I posted recently on my blog…

There’s always going to be haters, it’s just part of politics, but the ABSOLUTE, unadulterated hatred on the part of the left towards GW (although not unheard of – Reagan got A LOT) is inconceivable. I’m pretty passionate, and I can honestly say, I wouldn’t spew much of the junk the left’s thrown at W, at any American President…..

Tolerance, acceptability, and “progressiveness” on the left is not only a myth it’s an out and out lie. Let’s just hope that Obama doesn’t lead/govern like he’s voted, that Pelosi and Reid are reigned in and that the American public is not completed screwed by both the executive and legislative branches of our government.

16. J. Strupp says:

I’ll look you up in 5, 10 and 20 years.

17. J. Strupp,

Sounds good, but I doubt it…..

Hell, history has treated Richard Nixon half way decent, and he was the SCORGE of the U.S. for a long time.

18. Tinkerbell says:

Yes, I agree… some modicom of respect allowing us to work together, but NOT the kind of unity that sweeps our differences under the rug, squelches our free speech in favor of “concensus”, or conjurs up ominous forebodings that we will be… assimilated!

19. “I wonder who democrats will be angry at…”
    I think this kind of thing is what you’re talking about, no?
    Why, I found this so funny that I emailed it to all of my friends, and they to their’s and so on, and none of us are even dems! I can’t imagine what actual democrats will do. Burn villages?
    Keep the whining up, it sounds just like music to me, neo cons…