Illinois governor arrested

Just when you think there’s no news out there, someone steps out to arrest Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich on charges of public corruption.

I know, I know, that’s no proof that another Illinois guy has ever done anything wrong. I suspect this will make a very interesting start to BO’s career. Most presidents wait until they’re in office for a scandal to break.

Read a little for yourself.

I’m going to work to see how connected BO and this guy are in the political world.

This is what Blagojevich was saying yesterday.

–Update–9:15am – Obama and Blagojevich are part of the Tony Rezko mess together.

Hmm. We had Slick Willy. What will Obama be called when nothing sticks?

Comments

1. HAHA. I love Illinois politics. Never a dull moment down there. This quote, regarding his future appointment of Obama’s Senate seat, is classic Chicago-style politics:

“I want to make money,” .

…and this guy replaced Ryan as Govonor.

Maybe Ryan and Blagojevich can find Michael McGee JR. in the klick and all share a cell together.

2. Tinkerbell says:

What is the issue? Screening for a replacement Senator for BO’s recently vacated seat? Accepting bids for the highest bribe for the position?

3. Does this mean open road tolling construction is going to stop? Nooooooooooo

4. He will be called, “Mr President.”

5. Tinkerbell says:

“Mr. President, SIR!”

6. Blago is a Freako

7. Also, reports are saying it was Obama cheif-of-staff Rahm Emanuel who blew the whistle on Blago.

Let’s just say this, no one in Illinois (not even Democrats) like Rod Balgojevich. He’s a corrupt pompous persnicket.

8. According to CNN, according to phone taps on Blago he was quoted as saying something with regards to Obama’s office not being cooperative with him and merely giving Blago appreciation regarding his support of Obama.

Apparently Blago wanted a little more from Obama and was denied.

I assume this is Illinois politics as usual. How many Illinois Governors are already in prison? Here are just a few of the questionable Obama associates with Chicago connections:
    Tony Rezko, Rev Wright, Michael Klonsky, Marilyn Katz, Carl Davidson, Bernadine Dohrn, Bill Ayers, Father Pleger, etc. These are the ones I can enter from memory that were learned about during the election process. You can relocate a leopard but his spots always go with him.

10. “State Representative John Fritchey (D) (from Blagojevich’s home district), head of the House Judiciary committee, said impeachment proceedings will begin immediately.”

Good to hear this too. I know John Fritchey, he’s a really great guy–who actually has been working against the Chicago machine for a long time.

11. J. Strupp says:

Rough week for the Tribune Company.

12. I hope you are all ready the Smoking Gun copy of the legal documents here – including Blagojevich referring to Obama as a Mutherf*cker.

There’s some things in there about Obama’s wife being able to get Blago on a board if Blago picked Obama’s choice for Senate replacement.

Scary to think that Blago could have appoint himself for a US Senate seat…. eat your heart out all you lefties who made a big deal about Sen. Stevens in Alaska

The difference, Dan, is that we’re not sad that Blago is going. We’re not standing up for him.

14. Do you think I am, Lorax?

as you were referring to leftys, i am referring to rightys, and not you in particular.

16. Illinois politics never ceases to amaze me. One of the biggest shocks when I move to Madison from Chicago was the complete lack of political news, then I realized it was because there wasn’t perpetual scandal going on. Best quote I’ve seen? “It’s time to reset the sign on the Governor’s Office back to ‘This office has been crime free for 0 days.'”

17. Derek, that picture of you and the boys on your avatar is adorable! (Sorry, folks, I can see it on the editing software, but it doesn’t show up here.)

Good quote.

18. Oh, I’m sure the pragmatic messiah will be cleared of any implication.

Lorax, you aren’t any more fun under an assumed name. I don’t suppose you could get a different hobby or something?

My aim isn’t to be fun, and I imagine yours isn’t either. I don’t remember giving you any implication otherwise.

20. Tinkerbell says:

If it proves true what Dan-H shared with us (comment #12): Obama’s wife being able to get Blago on a board if Blago picked Obama’s choice for Senate replacement… and what Lorax shared (comment #7): Obama chief-of-staff Rahm Emanuel who blew the whistle on Blago… then it seems like a sting. Was Blago set up?

Then again, according to one article (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/source-feds-take-gov-blagojevich-into-custody.html), among other things it was charged that Blago “corruptly used his office in an effort to trample editorial voices of criticism.”

We may never know the truth? But let’s hope our government is always quick to defend our 1st amendment rights and reprimand those who impinge on them.

Interesting point, Tinkerbell.

What I am interested in is the fallout–we’re going to see Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn elevated to governor, and for the senate seat, a possible special election or appointment from Quinn.

Speculation was previously that Blago offered the Senate seat to AG Lisa Madigan, who turned it down. She was planning on running against Blago for Governor (and most likely would have beat him). Now, faced with Pat Quinn as Governor, will he offer it to Madigan, and will she accept with her chances of getting the governorship diminished?

My opinion is it almost certainly won’t go to Jesse Jackson Jr. (Senate Candidate #5).

Did you see that his bail was set at $4,500 and he was released on his own recognizance? $4.500, jeez a petty thief couldn’t even get off that cheap!

woah

24. BO was chumming around with this guy as recently as 2006. Suddenly, caught with his trousers down AND his hand in the cookie jar, BO claims not to have even talked to him lately. Does anyone else smell that BO BS? RIIIIIGHT, Barack had NOTHING to say about who would replace him for a democrat’s seat that would be a for-sure yes man for him in his first term. Absolute horse hockey.

25. Maybe Michelle can be Blago’s attorney!

26. Tinkerbell says:

But then again, did Michelle set him up? (comment #12)

Lorax, comment #6 – very Seussical!

Why stop the wiretaps? I’m unclear as to how the wiretaps became public. Was it a newspaper or did it come out when the Guv was arrested? If it was the latter I would question the timing. I know the prosecutor said he wanted to move before the Senate appointment but I wonder if they were getting close to people and places where they didn’t want to go.

28. Exactly. Barry O just can’t wait until he has the power to stop subpoena

29. I think you watch too many HBO sitcoms.

My favorite was Sex and the City.