“Careless” and “avoidable”

Will that define the performance of the Obama cabinet?

The number of times Secretary of Treasury candidate Timothy Geithner used the words “careless” and “avoidable” to describe his mistake regarding his taxes is pretty funny. Unintentional mistakes are as damaging as intentional ones.

Where will Obama go from here if he demands such a man of weak character be confirmed?

**I’m backtracking a bit on an earlier opinion. I didn’t realize that Geithner paid up for the last couple of “careless, avoidable” mistakes AFTER he was nominated! It’s a little like Brookfield Mayor Jeff Speaker finally putting all those housing violations to rest about the time he’s on the ballot for re-election.

1. You.. can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes! You can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes! You say.. “Steve.. how can I be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes?” First.. get a million dollars. Now.. you say, “Steve.. what do I say to the tax man when he comes to my door and says, ‘You.. have never paid taxes’?” Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: “I forgot!” How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don’t say “I forgot”? Let’s say you’re on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, “I forgot armed robbery was illegal.” Let’s suppose he says back to you, “You have committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from people at random, and you say, ‘I forgot’?” Two simple words: Excuuuuuse me!!”
    Steve Martin, SNL 1977

Geithner will probably head the IRS but could not get a job at H & R Block.

3. Tinkerbell says:

Justice seems to be measured not by a blindfolded lady with scales, but by a rubber ruler: Blago, Bad! Geithner, Good!

You are so alliterate. Good going.

5. Tinkerbell says:

@Randy: Nice notice, kind compliment.

6. Look at the treatment Joe the Plumber received from the MSM. Here’s a guy, not in line for a high level government position, and the MSM goes through his garbage to scrutinize him. Why isn’t Geithner subjected to the same? Where is the Joe the Plumber treatment for this guy?

And this goes for Hillary too. With her hubbie raking in the big bucks from foreign powers. No possible confict of interest?

If these people were Republicans the pressure would be on now from the usual suspects to leave Washington by now. Oh yes, the most ethical (self-proclaimed) administration in history.

Yesterday the ‘new’ era of transparency began for the Obama administration. When those opening the press conference were asked to identify themselves the only info they would provide was we are ‘senior administration officials’.

8. Leapin, that’s an important observation. They’ll go through the trash of Joe the Plumber, but not of a cabinet appointee that admits to cheating on his taxes.

9. Tinkerbell says:

We are seeing the creation of an elite government class – the beginnings of a caste society. Time to refamiliarize ourselves with George Orwell’s Animal Farm.

This Blago thing is just so interesting. Illinois style politics. When questioned yesterday about upcoming policy issues the leader from Illinois, when pressed, defended his views not with facts and reason but with, ” I won”. Apparently having real debate is not debatable in the ‘new’ White House. Yes, President Obama’s explanation for passing his proposals is ‘I won’.

11. He does seem pretty immature about it all. I think we’ll find Obama is still so new to politics that there is very little in the ways of diplomacy in his training. His quick wit which has gathered him such a following could cost him in the long wrong.

Just what we need – a flippant president.

The silliest new development in Blago’s defense is that impeaching him is a conspiracy to raise taxes. Soon we’ll learn the effort will also cost jobs. 🙂

12. Tinkerbell says:

“To those who cling to power through CORRUPTION and DECEIT and the SILENCING OF DISSENT, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.” – Obama, inaugural address 01/20/2009

Yes, within a week, we see he can extend a hand if first he unclenches his own fist. Of course he might put that extended hand on your shoulder and stare you down.

Important philosphical debates have been settled and would remain settled because he won:

Unless of course he changes his mind, as in this case with the lobbyist issue. It’s all been covered before… and may continue to be as it is a vicious cycle. [same artilce as first link]http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/22/obama-suprises-white-house-press-corps-visit-briefing-room/

Unrestrained by protocol, are there no limits to the way BO will wield power? Here we see an example of how he may plan to emulate Lincoln:
    “President Abraham Lincoln used his emergency powers to suspend the writ of habeas corpus in Maryland during the American Civil War. While this was declared unconstitutional by Chief Justice Roger Taney in ex parte Milligan, Lincoln SIMPLY IGNORED THE ORDER. ” -wiki

Interesting we were discussing Wiki just yesterday and when I read the quote you used from them something didn’t feel right to me. I went to see a movie and when I returned home I read the quote again. Bottom line that thing about Maryland didn’t seem right. But it is right only it’s not the full story. In 1861 Lincoln suspended habeas corpus in Maryland only, but in 1862 he suspended it in the entire country. (Jeff Davis did the same in the Confederacy.) It was reinstated by President Grant in 1866. Why those contributing to Wiki only tell half of the story I don’t know, but little red flags are flying in my head.

14. Tinkerbell says:

@RiR: the same little red flags fly in my head when U seem to overlook that Lincoln ignored a warning that he was undertaking an unconstititutional activity. Obama has made statements aligning himself w/ Lincoln. Perhaps this was to prepare us for unconstitutional activity on his part?

Meanwhile Obama has stated “no one is above the law”. (His remardks were made while salivating over the possibility of bringing former administration officials to trial regarding issues of war and detainee treatment.)

Time will tell whether Obama and his favored few are above the law.