Obama’s lobbyist promise “just words”

(Yes, I’m blowing through my time off, but this is important!)

In spite of his promise, Obama appointed lobbyist William J. Lynn to be deputy Secretary of Defense. The staff spin on Obama’s choice?

It’s really gonna be a miserable four years.

Read more from HufPo’s Chris Kelly.

Comments

1. “When you set very tough rules, you need to have a mechanism for the occasional exception. ”

He’s going to be an EXCEPTIONAL president.

If the GOP doesn’t wake up soon, it’s going to be a miserable 8 years.

Bob, I hope not.

How long is a stick?

Or put another way, how many is occasional?

I guess I’m just splitting hairs but here goes…
    You proponets of the Obameter, of which I was one until I learned the scorekeeper is the St. Pete. Times, probably figure this appointment of Wlliam Lynn would put Promise No. 240 in the ‘broken’ category. Promise No. 240 is the one about not hiring a lobbyist within two years of their working for a related employer (Raytheon). But alas a trip to the Obameter site shows a zero in the ‘Promises Broken’ column. But how can this be? Ah, this will make you feel better– No. 240 is in the ‘Compromise’ column.
    Ya’ll have fun with this site.

6. Can we compromise on the site being a good source for the promises, and to each his own on the fulfillment definitions?

7. It was kind of a lame excuse for going to compromise.

And having lived in Clearwater for umpteen years, I know the Times, so it doesn’t surprise me.

Absolutely.

Dean
    Rush has said for years, and I believe him, that with liberals it’s the intentions that count, not the actual results. So since Obama signed the order, with good intentions, he really didn’t break his promise. Thus the ‘Compromise’ column and Kum Ba Yah.

10. Randy
    Indeed. There’s only been a couple, they said so it’s just a compromise. But as I pointed out in my post on this, compromise implies something completely different when applied to campaign promises and there’s no record Obama compromised with any one.

But I still think PoliFact is ok, with disclaimers.

For those who enjoy fun with numbers it can be said that after 3 days in office Obama’s Approval Rating has dropped 15 %. Just prior to the inauguration his transition approval was 83% and according to Gallop, on Friday his rating was 68 %. This puts him at the upper range for first ratings but not the best. Just having fun as this means absolutely nothing.