Obama must have failed that Dale Carnegie course

You know, the one on how to win friends and influence people? Why else would he be discussing what he perceives as a starlet’s weight problem?

United States President Barack Obama described Jessica Simpson as “in a weight battle apparently” when he saw her photo on this cover of US magazine. Granted, it’s in the caption above, by why mention it at all?

Of course, the blogs have started (uhem) weighing in.

You can listen to the entire interview below. (Sorry for the darn ad.)

1. Nice coat and tie, Mr. President.

Matt Lauer makes him look like a chump. I don’t care how “cool” and “young” you are… you are the ‘leader of the free world,’ put on a suit.

2. Ooh! Good catch.

3. I caught an article off of drudge the other day how Obama’s first day behind the Resolute Desk he didnt wear a suit. How sad.

It’s nice to be able to wear your “comfies” but what if you walked into a doctor’s office and he was wearing a T-Shirt and Jeans. Would you take him seriously? Probably not.

BTW, is anyone calling their senators regarding the stimulus bill? Just got off the phone with Feingold’s office and sent Mr. Kohl an email. I know it doesn’t make a difference, but at least I gave them my two cents.

4. Forget the Suites and ties forget the Comfies, Get that man some common sense! Common sense is the Genesis of Acceptability. Maturity is the blooming of the best moral use of knowledge. Those who don’t have it are blooming idiots.

5. Anonymous says:

Dan H and Ron:

Did either of you wear a suit and tie while watching the Superbowl yesterday? Didn’t think so.

What’s the big deal?

6. Maybe appearing on national television?

7. Tinkerbell says:

The media reports Obama doesn’t wear a suitcoat AND keeps the heat turned up in the White House. This said to be, because he was born in Hawaii! How illogical.

Who pays for his heating bill? Is that funded from his personal assets, or do we the taxpayers foot the bill?

Perhaps he could solve both image problems at once: put on a suit coat and that extra layer may help him be comfortable with the thermostat turned down a couple of degrees.

8. Tinkerbell says:

PS: Regarding his comment on Ms. Simpson’s apparent battle with weight, perhaps Obama was displeased that his wife and daughters did not have the cover to themselves but shared space with Ms. Simpson?

I though it was what was on the inside that counted?

10. Tinkerbell says:

@Lorax: I understand that ON THE INSIDE of the magazine, Obama appeared with his wife and kids. However he was cropped from the covcer photo, and Ms. Simpson’s photo was inset in the space formerly occupied by himself.

ON THE INSIDE of the White House, who is paying for the heat?

ON THE INSIDE of many closets there are not suit coats from Hart Shaffner & Marx… but as long as Obama does have a wardrobe of these, his choice not to wear them in certain circumstances may be taken by some as a relative sign of respect / disrespect. He knows how to appeal to an audience… perhaps he is indicating the American public is no longer worth appealing to?

But I agree with you Lorax, it IS what’s on the inside that counts. Sometimes the only way we have to see what’s on the inside is to carefully observe the outside: does the walk match the talk.

You’re seriously headed for the deep end. That is, deep as in thick.

12. Tinkerbell says:

@Lorax, I’m just sharing the content of the TV news item. No need to be insulting.

13. Anonymous – no I didn’t, but im not the President and I wasn’t being featured on national television. When I, as a medical STUDENT, step into a clinic you better believe I’m wearing a shirt/tie and a white coat. I expect better from the guy running the country.

14. I’m glad you dress well, Dan. It is reassuring to see professionals dressed as professionals. I wish more of your collegues shared your view.

The President, however, wearing a suit to watch the superbowl…gotta think that would end up on SNL, along with a reprise of the white guy rap.

15. And I continue to argue that he wasn’t wearing a suit for a nationally televised interview.

He wasn’t watching the game when I saw him.

16. Tinkerbell says:

I tink it’s not about what Obama wore to watch the game per se, so much as what he wore for the pre-game interview with Matt Lauer. Obama knew he was going to be interviewed. One could have worn a suit coat for the interview and then removed it. No big deal, but worth noticing.

I used to watch ‘Happy Days’ pretty regularly and I don’t remember Fonzie ever looking at the screen and saying “people think I’m cool”. I really wish my President had not said that either.
    And if he wants to dress like another president, Ahmadinejad, that’s his prerogative.

18. Tinkerbell says:

Time for another presidential popularity poll, perhaps?

19. Sigh.

20. “People think I’m cool.”

Yes, that’s a sad statement on the maturity level of the leader of the free world.

Don’t blame me. I voted McCain.

21. “You honestly think they cranked the heat because he didn’t wear a suit coat? Didn’t you see him walking out in the cold without a jacket the other day?”

Yeah, he probably went out for a quick smoke. He wanted to get back in the house but couldn’t recognize a door from a window.

BTW- It’s not cool to smoke.