Daschle withdraws from cabinet nomination

That’s the breaking news. I’ll put a link in when I can find it.

Dang! It’s a good day to have my blog back. 🙂

Here’s a link from The Guardian.

Here’s the NYT editorial referenced.

You beat Drudge Cindy–Way to scoop!

2. Oh, right. That’s what happens when you’re watching Fox news while eating lunch. 🙂

Sometimes we cannot control where our inner thoughts take us. I’ll never forget, while watching Ronald Reagan’s funeral, how this phenomenon affected eight different people the same way. I and seven of my employees were watching together as the many dignitaries were being seated. As President Clinton took his seat the first thought process to enter my mind was Monica Lewinsky. It was involuntary but very real. Later I discovered that each of my employees had experienced the same reaction. And remember this was eight years after the fact.
    That same thought process was activated today as I saw Tim Geithner with the President to announce the $500,000 salary ceiling on CEO’s accepting stimulus funds for their companies. Here is an admitted tax cheat promulgating financial policy based on the administration’s claim that to pay these CEO’s more would somehow be an injustice. In reality it is a ‘politically correct’ policy that slaps free enterprise right in the face.
    I suspect, at least for me, I will continue to think ‘tax cheat’ in my inner thoughts each time Geithner invokes a financial policy.

“Kathleen Sebelius, President Obama’s nominee to become Health and Human Services secretary, said in a letter obtained by the Associated Press that she made “unintentional errors” on her taxes and has corrected her returns from three different years.

In the letter, which was sent to senators and dated today, Sebelius wrote that she had made changes related to charitable contributions, business expenses and the sale of a home, according to the AP.

The wire service reports that she and her husband paid just over $7,000 in back taxes, along with $878 in interest, for the years 2005-2007. ”

Yawn……Tim Geithner, Tom Daschele, Bill Richardson, Hilda Solis, Nancy Killefer, Ron Kirk, Charlie Rangel, and now Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. I’m sure she will blame President Bush as she did after a tornado hit a small town in Kansas several years ago.

Give it up. All rich people have tax problems. Power corrupts across all ideologies.

6. $7,000 in adjustments over three years for what is probably a very hefty family income isn’t that big a deal.

Our taxes are miserably complicated with 3 kids’ college accounts (two are being drawn on), tons of charitable contributions and church donations, and taxes paid in many states from the spouse’s partnership. A fine tooth comb from someone looking could determine I needed backup for something I can’t find a receipt for and it wouldn’t be too hard to get to that level of error.

I keep meticulous records for the college accounts, but even that is subject to interpretation. Also, some of the book receipts faded (thermal tape) before I was able to make copies. Does that mean those deductions wouldn’t be allowed from the account?

I consider this a bit different that Turbo Tax Tim’s excuse.

I like this side of you. Thoughtful. Compromising in judgement, but not in principle. Forgiving. Bravo. This is what got left behind when the blog moved from BrookfieldNOW to here.

It’s nice to hear you admit the Obama administration is corrupt. . And any charitable organization or lending institution keeps records which are readily available to anyone requesting them–and you can bet your bottom dollar they were looked for in this case. They don’t exist. And claiming interest on a house you have sold? Sorry, but Governors and Cabinet members who influence the taxes others pay should be held to the highest standard. If it’s no big deal why did she write to all the member’s of the Senate who will vote on her confirmation ?
    Yes, she’ll be confirmed but Obama will have another Cabinet member helping to run the system she felt priviledged to cheat.