President Obama’s national address, February 9

No, I didn’t watch it. What else will he say?

“The sky is falling. (You will do what I say.)”

“Everyone agrees. (I need your money more than you do.)”

“This is bi-partisan effort. (Because 3 from the other party constitutes real consensus.)”

“God bless America. (Did I say that right?)”

I do believe I’ve heard it all before.

There’ll be a link here when it posts on the net. If you find it first, do tell.

Here’s the video from C-Span.

1. Tinkerbell says:

I tink he said, ” I want the census figures so I get the stimulus money into the right hands (and the left hands) of those who will spend it to stimulate the economy by purchasing my next book… thereby funding another 4million$US for my personal income.”

2. and, that only government can fix this. Only government.

My observations:

Helen Thomas, when asking her question about al qaeda, referred to them as ‘so called terrorists’.

The President, when answering about whether the Bush administration should be investigated by Congress, said we should look forward to get things done.
    The President, when making his pitch for the Stimulus Bill, blamed the failed policies of the past.

And the scariest statement of the night: ‘It is only the government’ that can fix our economy.

Ronald Reagan actually fixed our economy and it was sustained for years. He said:

“In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we’ve been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price.”

Do you think the President threw a dart at a map to locate a community to highlight in support of his Stimulus Bill. Hardly. He chose Elkhart, Indiana, a city whose major employer manufactures Recreational Vehicles, a.k. a. RV’s. These vehicles start in the upper $40’s and go to 1/2 mllion dollars in cost. The average cost of a unit is about $90,000–$140,000.
    So what does the President tell these people who have the highest unemployment rate in the country (dah). That he’s going to raise taxes on those making over $250,000 , that is reduce their purchasing power. But for those in lower income brackets he is proposing a one time annual tax reduction of approx. $500 or $10 more in each weekly paycheck.
    Which group do you think would buy what Elkhart’s making? Under the plan above, neither.

From the City of Elkhart’s webpage. “Elkhart Is home to leading manufacturers in the Recreational Vehicle, Marine, Musical Instrument, Manufactured Housing, and many other important Industries. We are a great place to do business! “

4. Today’s a trip for the President to sunny Ft. Myers, Florida, where he will have a Republican governor endorse this massive spending plan. Ft. Myers’ leading industry is vacation homes, I suspect. These second houses aren’t much in demand right now, and foreclosures are high.

Once again, Obama chose carefully to justify the plan.

5. By reading between the lines I believe BHO was basically vindicating Bush administration spending policies. I think BHO is indicating that Bush was basically going in the right direction he just didn’t spend enough.

Okay, I’ll admit up front this is a pet peeve of mine. Based on Cindy’s info above I went to the Ft. Myers city website. There you can click onto a site about Obama’s visit. Pretty normal site and then I see this:

***For security reasons, please limit personal items. No signs or banners are permitted***

During the campaign I went to a local public university to an Obama rally. Many took signs but were not allowed to take them onto the grounds. It became a free speech and security issue that was discussed in the local paper and on talk radio. The university said it was doing what the Obama campaign requested. The campaign said it was doing what the university and the Secret Service requested.
    I did quite an investigation into this and bottom line is the Obama campaign was controlling the signs allowed at his appearance, even though the event was held at a public venue. Here is a copy of an email sent to me by the Secret Service in response to my inquiry on this matter:

The Secret Service, without question, respects the right of the public to
    demonstrate and voice their views. We make no distinction on the purpose,
    message or intent of any particular group.

The Secret Service does not prohibit the presence of signs or props based on
    their content – only those items made of materials or of a size that could be
    used in a potentially threatening or harmful manner.

Any assertion that the Secret Service prohibited signs and banners based solely
    on their content is incorrect for the reasons stated above. As you can imagine,
    groups sometimes invoke the name of the Secret Service in an effort to further
    their own goals, but our stance on this issue is clear.

U.S. Secret Service

—–Original Message—–
    From: [] On
    Behalf Of
    Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:16 PM
    To: undisclosed-recipients:
    Subject: Public Affairs

So in Ft Myers today it looks like the Obama administration is picking up where the Obama campaign left off–squelching free speech. Let’s watch and see if any signs are visible at his appearance today.

7. Leapin:

The difference is the economic environment in which Obama is attempting to deficit spend. President Bush saw it fit to deficit spend by not vetoing a thing for the better part of his administration while cutting taxes to do it’s part in creating an even worse budget shortfall (which has put us into a horrible debt position at the beginning stages of a severe recession mind you).

Obama (all be it, very ineffectively and inefficiently it appears) is attempting to use government spending to fill the void of imploding consumer spending and business investment.

Try to see the difference. I know most people won’t but I’m trying anyway.

On the financial side:

We can save the issue of the deregulation of our financial system in the last 8 years, which led to massive unregulated shadow banks and hedge funds that leveraged themselves 40 times over, imploded into a pile on non-FDIC insured garbage assets (which we eventually covered), which caused a global financial crisis that we are enjoying today, for later. I’ll let the history books do the talking on the deregulation issue. I can assure you that Fanny and Freddy, CRA, Barney Franks, etc. will be but a cog in the wheel.

W., the gift that keeps on giving.

8. Tinkerbell says:

@Leapin: Vindicating & indicating. I like it.
    @Randy: Reagan’s Quote. I like it.
    @JS: the word is albeit

9. Thank you for the english lesson.

10. Don’t be offended, Josh. She’s nailed me on that one, too.

Please give examples of Bush Policy, or bills passed by a Republican Congress, that you refer to in #7 above. I am aware of his tax cuts, which had nothing or very little to do with today’s situation. In fact it can be argued we would be worse off or it would have happened sooner without the cuts.

12. The best part about being nailed on stuff like that is that you never make the same mistake twice.

The President must think we are stupid or don’t listen to what he says. He is making this statement over and over: ” The Stimulus Plan will save or create 4 million jobs”. He can’t lose on that prediction. Maybe someone that voted for him can tell me how one ‘counts’ a job saved?

I’ll make a similar prediction: I’m going to prevent 6 tornados from forming this year in Oklahoma. Check with me in December to see how I did.

14. Tinkerbell says:

@Randy: You are quite the meteorologist! As well as a humorist! Perhaps you could write for the Farmer’s Almanac?

Meanwhile RNC Chairman Steele spoke recently of the distinction between needing ongoing private sector JOBS contributing to sustainable growth and an expanding economy -VS- the stimulus package providing temporary government construction “contracts” which have a definite end date and are not ongoing.

Obama seems to lack this clarity (not distinguishing employement by duration) when he speaks of jobs.

15. @JS – True that. Albeit one might occasionally become tired enough to let it slip through.