I have never been more embarrassed of my country.

I guess I kind of know how Michelle felt, only it’s in reverse.

Do you realize, taxpayers, that you sent a plane to Ohio to fly a Senator back to pass this thing? Do you have any idea, my dear liberal readers, as to what, exactly you are reveling?

Nope. Neither do any of people that voted for this thing. Delivered after midnight. Voted at 6:00 p.m. More than a thousand pages. You can bet no one read it. You can also bet we’ll be paying for generations.

1. The final version literally contained HANDWRITTEN adjustments… the biggest bill in the history of the United States of America and you can’t even type up the crap you are sneaking in. U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E!

2. The shame falls squarely on the shoulders on the morons that voted for that POS, and his lapdogs in the media!

3. what costs more: The war in Iraq or this bill?

Both are stupid as f*ck.

I don’t appreciate your language.

5. You’ve never been more embarrassed by your country?

Gee, I don’t even have to pick up a history book to find bigger embarrassments.

6. Gosh, J. Articulate a little more.

7. Dave, I’m putting an asterisk in your special word. We’re gonna try to hang PG-13 here.

Apparently one of the job classifications the Stimulus Bill is trying to stimulate is social workers. Hidden in the Bill is a measure to roll back provisions of the 1996 Welfare Reform Bill. Just passed yesterday and to be signed Monday by Obama after the five day waiting period, (they use dog calendar days), the new regulations will reward states that increase their welfare caseloads. This will certainly lead to an increase in the illegitimacy rate which has declined since 1996.
    There is no doubt now that Nadya Suleman, the eight is enough mother, is the perfect posterchild for liberals in America. She represents much of the liberal dogma and under the law passed yesterday will add to her personal draw at the public trough.

9. Queen Pelosi has flown off to Italy, probably at more taxpayers expense, to have the Pope kiss her ring.

10. Paul Ryan had an opinion piece in the NY Times yesterday. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/opinion/14ryan.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

What a well written article. Too bad the train has already left the station.

12. I respect Rep. Ryan a great deal and consider him one of the only Republicans in Congress that has a shread of credibility on fiscal restraint.

Hopefully, Ryan can be the voice of fiscal restraint once we pull ourselves out of this crisis by re-inflating our economy. We’ll need his opinion greatly in the future. It’s just that his position on cutting marginal tax rates to stimulate economic growth will be terribly ineffective, given the current economic environment.

I’m not a huge fan of the current stimulus package (it should be bigger and focus more on infrastructure upgrades, technological advances in alternative energy and construction of more refineries & nuclear power plants like the Chinese are doing) but primarily focusing on cutting marginal tax rates in a global deflationary environment makes no sense at all. We would get roughly the same budget deficit (on a more long term basis) with little or no job creation and/or economic growth.

This could get interesting. You gotta love Illinois politics–whether in the midwest or Washington.

14. A BIGGER stimulus? This could have been done on about $300B, if it needed to be done at all. There are already signs of life back in the economy, but this porkfest is only going to hurt. If not short term, then long. Have we not already saddled our children and grandchildren with enough debt? And the “strings” tied to all of this? Please? If you take government money, they own you, so it’s no surprise the Leftys have chosen to limit executive pay (but of course not their own). Bailing out states (like Wisconsin) because they weren’t responsible with taxpayer $$ “does violence to the concept of Federalism”, according to the Heritage Foundation. Infrastructure isn’t a problem because states don’t have enough money, it’s a problem because the money for infrastructure engineering is rerouted for SOCIAL engineering.

There has been inadequate (non-existent) debate, no oversight and pork stuffed in this bill having no relationship to stimulating the economy. It is the most partisan and least transparent legislation of my lifetime.

I’m glad to see (all but 3) Republicans finally got religion, but their past performance is part of the problem, too.

“This thing will get out of hand and we’ll be lucky to live through it.”

Your statement on re-routing the money couldn’t be truer and it will take place even more in this Bill because of the ambiguities of many of the provisions. The best example of this in the past was Democratically controlled Louisiana and the hundreds of millions of dollars directed away from flood control to social engineering. Remember this 800+ billions of dollars will be under the control of a body that couldn’t even run it’s own cafeteria.

16. $775 billion or according to this $1 trillion for the war. http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/84xx/doc8497/07-30-WarCosts_Testimony.pdf is a report from 2007 (with old numbers) about the costs of the War on Terror. I’m sure we have well surpassed these estimates. It says as of 2007 about $602 billion has been spent. I’m not saying this package is the best idea, but I think there are a lot of blunders in history that need to be enumerated before it earns that title.

17. So, dear DIL, you think the war is a “blunder?”

18. The war has been a total blunder from the beginning. I won’t go there.

“This could have been done on about $300B, if it needed to be done at all.”

did you pull this number out of thin air? It appears you did.

“There are already signs of life back in the economy,”

Give me one economic indicator or piece of data that proves this is true. I can assure you this comment is false.

19. You can assure us, but you can’t prove it? Great.

Please be specific about how “this war has been a total blunder from the beginning”. And name a war with no blunders. Let’s go there.

Based on the public works type of projects that are plentiful in the Stimulus Bill, I see potential conflicts for the Dems down the road. As these projects are designed and readied for implementation there will be required enviromental impact studies , wildlife studies, floodplain impacts, pollution predictions, etc.
    This will energize PETA, the ACLU, Greenpeace , the Sierra Club, and any tree-hugger worth their salt to fight this onslaught of bulldozers and construction. Actually this might be fun to watch as it plays out over the next few years. What ya bet Congress and Obama controlled agencies won’t lighten or eliminate some regs that are now in place.

23. Funny, that’s the one I was thinking, too.

24. “Delivered after midnight. Voted at 6:00 p.m. More than a thousand pages. You can bet no one read it. You can also bet we’ll be paying for generations.”

I’m lost, aren’t you talking about the Patriot Act?

25. Not to mention Sherrod Brown flew on a government aircraft so that he could both do his job (vote) and go to his mother’s funeral. How embarrassing for him.

I’m surprised you got the two bills confused, Lorax. The Patriot Act was just over 300 pages, none of which were hand written. It was HR 3162, passed by the Senate on October 25, 2001 at 1:54 pm. The vote was 98-1, with Sen. Feingold the only disenting vote. What could have confused you was that the bill was reauthorized, with changes, in 2005 with then Sen. Obama voting ‘Aye’ or in favor of the bill.

27. So that makes 1/3rd in length, but three times the outrage. Talk about a concentration of injustice.

28. Obamagod can undo the Patriot Act anytime he wants. He doesn’t seem to want to do anything about it.

29. Sorry for the delay. Took yesterday off.

Are you guys sure that the rise in CPI is a an indicator of a recovering economy or could it be due to real wage increases as companies shed low paying jobs and low fuel prices continue to boost real wages?

Maybe we should we watch those numbers over a few more months as home prices continue to slide downward as foreclosures accelerate due to increased unemployement? I’ll place a bet that real wages, which are supporting this index primarily due to dramatic fuel price declines will start to give way in the next few months and CPI turns flat or worse (probably negative if we continue on our current path).

Or do you believe that real estate prices and unemployement claims are bottoming out and we have nothing to worry about?

I don’t.

30. The link wasn’t about the CPI.

You’re not the optimist here, that’s well established.

31. Watching my recording of This Week. Lindsey Graham is thinking of nationalizing banks and Chuck Schummer is opposed. My head is spinning.

I agree. Lindsey Graham should be a Democrat. Chuck Schumer should live in Venezuela.

33. Laughing out loud! Truely!

34. good for Graham.

35. NO. not CPI.

My point is real wage increases won’t hold long term and Deloitte’s index won’t either.

If nationalization sounds ugly, try using the word “receivership” instead. 😉

36. J.—I’m not opposed, just amazed that the old paradigms about which party stands for what are so very useless.

I’m not an economics kind of guy as it is about 90% subjective and 10% objective. Predicting the weather has become more scientific than predicting the economy–it’s a shame satellites cannot scan the zillions of variables that affect the US and world monetary doings and each night we could watch the economy channel for the next day’s predictions.
    In # 18 above you asked a question and I answered, using a factor that drives 70% of the American economy. I don’t know if it will go up or down but I do know I answered your question with an accurate, timely answer, but apparently one not to your liking. I suspect Cindy would object to a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy on this site.

38. Ok, you know what, I’ve never been more embarassed of you! You want the republicains to win in 2012, and your insulting liberals who could possibly support your side? I liked John McCain, but thank you for scaring me away from the Republician party. I’ve pretty much learned from this site that conservatives are basically Christian Coalition Neo Nazi’s.
    Back to being a liberal for me.

39. Christian Coalition Neo Nazi.

Don’t think I’ve ever been called that before. Not sure they’d let me join.

I do hope you feel better now – kind of doubt you’d have been so easily swayed anyway. And…since I don’t have a clue who you are, I don’t guess I’ll let it bug me that you are “embarassed” of me. I usually save that for my kids. 🙂

Nick, you are a Saint.

41. Randy- you are not into charts are you ? the economy and markets are very predictable if you know how to read them and what to watch for. many folks predicted what happened and have been out of the equities market for 18 mos including me. it does not take a genius. now we have people who have never run a business much less managed one, making economic policy. this next one is pretty easy to forecast and trend

42. They are predictable except…the markets do break through the charting and create little wonders like new lows (or new highs). Of course, once that happens, you can read them again, but when you hit to resistance levels you either cross your fingers or sit on the sidelines. I crossed my fingers and lost at 10,000 on the DOW. Now I’m sitting back and tapping my foot.