Hooters wasn’t even planning to USE an owl!

Talk about hype. For a couple of weeks now BrookfieldNOW has been asking, “Should the city make Hooters drop its trademark owl.” Today I received a photo of the planned sign. Nary an owl in sight.

(It does make one wonder if this is all a set up to let the mayor claim a victory because no owl was used.)

What is a potential problem is neon.

SO, Brookfield, the real question at hand: Should the city make Hooters use a cheaper looking sign instead of the neon version proposed?

See also: The fake controversy over a Hooters sign in Brookfield.

Comments

1. Kathryn says:

What could be cheaper looking than neon? And who cares anyway?

I care about all the vacant retail space on Blue Mound. I care that a once nice plaza is in danger of turning into another tacky strip mall with a very tacky chain store to anchor it. Other than that, a tacky tenant is probably better than no tenant. I’m not too concerned about the material used for the sign.

2. I don’t like them either, but Hooters will probably stay put once they’re in. So would CVS if they go in at the grocery store end. That would leave the middle which could easily be subdivided.

I guess I always thought of that corner as another strip mall and not really a plaza. Same with Fountain Square, and they even have a fountain! (for 4 months of the year…)

You’re just angling for a job, Cindy.

4. Right. I look really awesome in orange hot pants.

5. I love Hooters and everything about it. Republicans favor the government to butt out, so butt out and let me have my hooters!!!

Cindy-will you be applying to be a waitress?
    Dave

6. No, Dave, Brookfield is safe.

I was thinking of opening a similar restaurant concept in Brookfield. Here’s my pitch: A male version of Hooters tentatively named “Peepers” or “Banana Boats”

8. We’ve been through it all before.

9. Lorax,

I volunteer to work at your place wearing my spandex or my super short shorts. By the way, I’m fat and hairy.

I believe it.

Kathryn, I think your worry is misspent. Loehmann’s Plaza/V Richards Plaza/CVS Plaza(?), has never been a nice plaza. Personally, for me it was tacky right out of the box with Bombay Bicycle Club, one of the worst restaurants/bars I’ve ever been too. Pedros continued that tradition, I went there once, and never returned, horrible food/service. While Hooters isn’t ideal, and it’s business premise perhaps ‘tacky’, I don’t think that makes over the entire strip mall. And Cindy’s got it right, the sign is no worse than many of those on Bluemound all ready. I’d prefer a stable anchor, over a garbage bagged business sign. Honestly, I think CVS does more ‘damage’. It may be just me, but every CVS I have been too looks like a small tornado just blew through the store. Messy comes to mind. Putting a pharmacy in there really changes the strip mall’s identity, not to mention the drive-thru. Speaking of drive-thru, I find the city’s argument about worrying the drive-thru will cause a backup to be comical. Has anyone seen more than 2 cars at once at a pharmacy drive-thru?

12. Kathryn says:

It was a generalized lament, BD. True, it is a strip mall, but I found it so much more pleasant than most. Not boxy. No quansut hut roofs. The parking lot is somewhat attractive, not a sea of asphalt. The sidewalks are wide; I didn’t feel like a small child could be run down any minute.

It had a lot of local businesses–even the sub shop had it’s own character. It’s moved, the hobby shop moved, the bookstore and the cooking store and the cobbler are gone, V. Richards is on the way out. CVS is hardly a replacement for V. Richards.

13. Wait, the cobbler’s gone? I’ve used him for years.

Did he move or retire?

14. Kathryn says:

I don’t know.

15. Kathryn says:

Hmm. They are still listed on the web site. Maybe they were closed for some other reason when I last checked. Sorry.

16. Whew! He does keep funky hours/days. But he’s good. I hope he’s still there.

17. Kathryn I think the goal is to make the strip mall ‘delightfully tacky… yet unrefined’

Trackbacks

1. […] and could very well put it to rest. Cindy Kilkenny, who blogs over at FairlyConservative.com, received an image of what will be the new sign in front of Hooter’s. As Kilkenny notes, “nary an owl in […]