All six of the Prowlers to walk at graduation

More in a few minutes.

I can’t find any real news yet, but my informant says the text messages are flying. Word is that the Valedictorian, Alexander Holiday, will not be speaking.

More when I get it.

Ah, here’s something from Fox 6.

Hey! The UPI picked this up.

And the Chicago Tribune via the AP.

Comments

1. El gato says:

The poll results illustrate why our young people are so often vandals. They think it’s fun to tear up someone’s lawn with their car, smash mailboxes with a baseball bat from a moving car, toilet paper houses, etc. That’s vandalism and it’s breaking the law, and there should be some consequences for it.
    These young people broke the law as they are just preparing to go out into the real world. I prefer the kids who go out and do something charitable for those less fortunate as a senior project. Yep, I know, I’m hard and mean and don’t have any sympathy for kids “just having fun”. I’ve seen the changes in our workforce and every year the younger ones are more slothful and irresponsible. Now why could that be?

2. But not these young people, El gato. As far as I’ve heard, they are still going to deal with the real world consequences.

3. Anthony says:

In the eyes of their classmates, they are heroes.

A message from the Prowlers

“We would like to extend an enormous THANK YOU for all of your support. We are so thankful to see that so many saw this as a harmless senior prank, and appreciate the many encouraging posts.

We would also like to extend a big thank you to Mr. Bowers and Dr. Gibson for allowing us to attend the graduation ceremony tomorrow, it certainly means a lot to us. If only a certain speech were still permitted…

Thanks again for everything, and don’t worry, this will be the only email from this group:)

-The Prowlers”

4. El gato says:

I didn’t know until I saw it on the news after my first post that they had received $300 tickets. That is more than enough punishment and the school administration shouldn’t have tried to “pile on”. They do appear to be nice young fellows, but they still need to learn you can’t do what is against the law with impunity. I hope this was a big lesson for them and future seniors!

5. Comment #18, on post titled “Senior prank leaves some spanked”: Whatever // Jun 4, 2009 at 7:54 pm School officials give the same warning every year to the seniors during their last week of school. “Commit a suspendable offense and you WILL NOT participate in graduation ceremonies”. This is no knee-jerk reaction.
    – – – – –

Philly had a somewhat similar senior prank experience:

6. Then put it in writing and in the school board policy and everyone will know, won’t they?

And “Me” this is your second identity on the site. Keep in mind most people don’t do that, and I pretty much frown on the practice.

7. Whatever says:

No need to make it school board policy or to let “everyone” know. The only ones that need to know about it are the seniors.

8. I disagree. Either it’s a written policy, or it doesn’t exist.

9. Anthony says:

Graduation today was just like any other graduation…except the Salutatorian and Valedictorian were not recognized. This made the graduation a lot shorter. The Senior Class President made a joke about the senior prank in her speech. Also, when Alex Holiday walked, it seemed like everyone cheered, including most of the parents. Same with Ben Li. Graduation was only an hour-and-a-half long.

10. Thanks for the update. If Ben Li had a singing spot, I would have shown up. That kid’s got it.

11. Anthony says:

The choir sang The Star Spangled Banner – I think he was in it.

12. EL GATOOOOO RETURNS!!!!!! I didn’t even read his entries just so excited he’s back

Dan, he was back a few weeks ago, but he’s definitely on an upward trajectory. We missed you, Grant.

14. Anthony says:

Here’s some footage from the graduation. You can also see the crowd’s reaction when Alex Holiday’s name is called.
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/47125407.html Then click on the video button.

15. Anthony, thanks for that link.