Who paid for the Clinton trip to North Korea?

Yes, this stuff bothers me, and I’m going to say it, even if no one else will. Did I just pay to bring two kids home?

I’ve taught my children from their earliest moments that their actions have consequences. Eat a bowl of beans before a big date? Yep, you’re likely to pay. Trot over an international boundary into North Korea and get picked up? Whoopsie. It could be a problem.

Why were these two girls so important, and did I pay for their stupidity?

Just asking.

As this story developes I feel certain we will discover that Al Gore played a major part in securing the plane. It’s too early to determine who actually paid. These women took it upon themselves to go where they should not have just as the recently captured three in Iran were out “hiking”. Am I glad the women were released–absolutely. Do I approve of how it came about–no. The reason I believe there is a price to pay for the release is because of the distance the Obama administration is staying away from the story. If we have learned nothing about Obama in the past 6 months it is that he wants to continue performing his strength–campaigning. If he could he would want to claim some level of responsibility for these women’s release but I believe he’s staying away for fear the price for same will eventually come out.

In a related matter. What went through your mind as you saw these two young women exit Bill Clinton’s plane after a long flight? Me too.

2. Santa's Elf says:

While I have little doubt that we paid a bit more than a visit from good ole Bill – the better half of Bill n’ Hill – the nexus here is that the two gals were over there reporting for Current TV – the cable news outlet owned by Uncle Al the Kiddies Pal (Gore) and Joel Hyatt – the ambulance chaser whose ‘musty old law book’ tv commercial launched him into the public eye a while back.

Story has it that ‘Kim Always Ill’ – the cretin who owns North Korea – suggested that he’d release the gals if Bill personally came to fetch them.

In as much as this is as close as the old fart – Kim, that is – will ever come to a presidential summit, I find the story believable on it’s face.

3. Wilson828 says:

Well.. I don’t agree.

Who cares.

I hope I paid for something – worthwhile for a change.

I am going to pay for healthcare reform – I just know it. I already am paying for the clunkers program.

I paid for the tax checks sent by Bush too … I didn’t get one… I was in the group who paid for those stimulus checks. And some of you thought that was free uh?

My point is this … North Korea is nuts. They are like the nutz-oids in the gulf. We spent money to go fetch home a couple of kids and finally the politicians did something of value that I could see and touch and appreciate.

Good job Clinton.

I am a big believer in being held accountable in life. But I’m also a big believer in everyone deserves a second chance too.

This is a good thing.

Now Bill, go fetch home Amanda Knox .. that other poor kid stuck in Italy. She should come home too.

4. Well, I guess I haven’t thought of it that way.

I’ll still feel better if I find out Al Gore wrote the check.

5. Why are they important?

They are United States citizens. We don’t just abandon United States citizens, no matter how stupid they may be…

Bill Clinton was the front man for a mission that had a good ending for the two reporters. Bill Clinton was used by Kim Jong Il to bolster his standing in his own country. The photo opt(s) and whatever else will be used by Kim to validate his tyrannical rule within his country. The presence of a United States President in North Korea dinning and meeting with Kim legitimizes a dictator and a form of government diametrically the opposite of all the US should stand for. North Korea discovered with the Pueblo incident the value of having American hostages/prisoners.

‘Why’ the girls are important is not the question, but ‘how’ important they are – can be debated.

I suspect other and/or more diplomatic wrangling, and with a less prominant American, would have garnered similar results but over a longer period of time.
    Time will tell.

7. Did anybody see the photo of Bill Clinton and Kim Jong Il standing together provided by North Korean Television? How obvious of a Photoshop was that?

The flight was paid for by some Hollywood bloke. Party’s over, guys and girls.

9. Well that’s interesting…didn’t see that coming.

No, the party’s not over. Who paid for the party is irrelevent to much of the discussion here. Cindy will be happy to know it wasn’t her dime but the other aspects of this story are very much relevant.

11. I had heard it was his plane, but didn’t know if he carried the whole bill.

How interesting that Al Gore didn’t take more responsibility financially. How interesting to imagine the periphery of influence in our country’s politics.

And Dad29 – do you honestly believe anyone would go to the trouble to pick your bony backside up out of another country if you were stranded there? Get real.

12. Just two ignorant lefty journalists who think they can treat the borders of another country with impunity because that’s the way the US border is treated.

13. Shazam! Strong point, Leapin.

We rescue citizens all the time through our embassies. Or remember the Iran hostages? Where’s Ross Perot when you need him?

15. You can believe what you want to believe. I don’t think they’d give much thought about letting me rot. Something else was up here.

Obama is a North Korean pawn? Clinton has a Korean mistress? We only rescued them because they are Asian and probably Democrats?

I acknowledge that something else is probably going on, but I don’t get the conspiracy riffs.

17. J. Strupp says:

“Just two ignorant lefty journalists who think they can treat the borders of another country with impunity because that’s the way the US border is treated.”

Hey lay off.

I got a couple Cubans across that U.S. border last week.

Cigars not refugees that is.

Not to mention the way the neocon hawks respectfully treated the borders of Iraq, right?

19. adrienne says:

stephen bing and dow chemical co paid for the trip. gives me the creeps. i’m not conservative, liberal, democrat, or repulican. simply human, and certain something is DEEPLY fishy about the whole thing.

If it’s ‘fishy’, you’re supposed to report it to http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/ . And I agree with you, there is more to this story.