Look Ma! No ties!

President Barack Obama interrupted a vacation in which he requested privacy to announce he’s nominating Ben Bernanke to a second term as Fed Chairman.

I can’t find a new photo, but both gentlemen were without ties before the national press in their announcement this morning. It appears they set up in a local gymnasium.

Ok, it’s me, and I can be hard on the guy, but couldn’t this announcement have waited a week? The President must be having public adoration withdrawals or something.

I’m willing to be corrected here. If you Obama fans can find a reason the Bernanke announcement had to come this week, by all means, set me straight.

1. J. Strupp says:

The answer to your question is your next blog entry.

The President used the re-appointment of Bernanke as a way to take some of the press away from the OMB & CBO mid-session projections released today.

2. Ok, now I know why he did it. Could the announcement have waited until after the special vacation at the Vineyard?

I would suggest he is following yesterday’s diversion of:
    *Swine flu may kill 90,000
    *Holder names John Durham as special prosecutor
    *White house announces FBI will head interrogation unit rather than CIA, will be run from white house

This is a frontal diversionary attack on the bad publicity the white house and Congress have been receiving on the healthcare issue. Remember, liberals change the subject and blame someone else. None better than George Bush in the Durham appointment. This is going to be a tactical mistake by Obama. The people overwhelmingly do not want this issue revisited but Obama is doing it to placate the radical left and allow for some good old Bush bashing.

Does the No Tie really bother you?

But not only is it press, J., it’s also about reassuring the market so the day isn’t too rocky.

6. Yes, the lack of ties bothers me. It’s such a manipulation.

Eh, politicians go sans-tie all the time. I fondly remember President Bush’s pressers at the ranch. Back in the old days. When stuff was right.

8. Bush rolled up his sleeves, too.

I don’t remember him having a dressing double, though. And, it was on his own property – not some rented (or confiscated?) auditorium.

9. J. Strupp says:

That’s possible Lorax, but the OMB & CBO projections really aren’t much of a surprise to the market.

Cindy, yes absolutely. This move is strictly political in my opinion. My guess is that the Obama administration knew very well that the people who take a serious interest in Bernanke’s re-appointment would also be watching the CBO & OMB projections today.

Bernanke owns a lot of respect on both sides of the aisle so this announcement, at the very least, gives Obama a few days to take the tie off before he’s back trying to explain basic Keynesian theory to the people yet again..

10. I don’t much mind the no ties, but…I wish for once he would either stop rolling his sleeves up or wear short sleeves. He looks sloppy as is.