Mm, mmm, mm! Obama

Here is the Obama song of the week. It was sent by email to some of the parents of students in Longfellow Elementary in Howard County, Maryland. Their instructions were to teach the words to their child.

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:33 AM
To: (Removed)
Subject: Song

Hello Mr. (REMOVED),
The words to the song are below.

Obama,
President Obama,
President Obama,
President Obama,
President Obama–He says
Yes we can!
President Obama–We say
Yes we can!
President Obama–I say
Yes I can!
President Obama–He says
Yes we can!
Barack Obama–Oh yes he rates,
The first Black President in the United States!
He’s smart and he’s–so so good!
He’ll lead this country as he should!
He wants us all to work together,
To make this country even better!
Prez’ Obama says–“Yes We Can!”
Make the US better–hand in hand!
Obama,
President Obama,
President Obama,
President Obama
President!

Are we desensitized yet ?

Comments

1. BkfldVoter says:

Possible Obama plagarism here, as “Yes we can!” is from the theme song of Bob The Builder (kids claymation cartoon, circa 2001) “Can we build it? YES WE CAN! Can we fix it? YES WE CAN! …”

LOL! It’s kinda like the prez is quoting Barney.

2. J. Strupp says:

Yeah I saw this on Youtube. The song certainly does suck.

Yet it still amazes me that Americans have a such a negative opinion regarding these lyrics (full of harmless generalities in my opinion) yet they have no problem with the following pile of horse manure sung back in 2006. Want to experience something truly grotesque? Just search out the video clip of this beauty and tell me “mmmm Obama” is an issue worthy of significant discussion:

From the link:

To the tune of Hey Look Me Over, about 100 young children from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama sang:

Our country’s stood beside us
    People have sent us aid.
    Katrina could not stop us, our hopes will never fade.
    Congress, Bush and FEMA
    People across our land
    Together have come to rebuild us and we join them hand-in-hand!

Classic, quality, real life comedy.

3. Changing the subject slightly: isn’t this an example of things gone awry in a school district that is just too big to manage? If the school in question were actually teaching, would there be time for this nonsense?

Howard County has 72 schools and a 25 page administrative org. chart. They couldn’t make a simple decision about whether or not to show the President’s speech last month, so they left it up to each school to decide. They were in the news this week because they couldn’t handle placement of a formerly home-schooled child.

No doubt there is more to anything than appears in the news accounts, but I’m guessing parents in that district have been desensitized to plenty.

4. BkfldVoter says:

I think SNL could dress the prez as “Bob The Builder” and have him sing the Bob-The-Builder theme song. Consulting with his dream team of little trucks, Pilchard the blue cat, Spud, and Wendy, to sing backup.

Personally I don’t mind the silly song of 2006 ~ whose purpose I see as trying to instill hope in kids about their local circumstance (Katrina), and remind them that people are sending aid (although it may fall far short of the immense need). A niece has travelled several times to help out. Other commentors on this blog have, too.

Personally I do mind the silly song of 2009 ~ whose purpose I see as trying to raise a prez to an iconic level with a song of empty platitudes. Specifically I mind this because friends who lived under socialism in Russia, and friends who lived under Chinese dictatorship shudder with familiarity at those banal songs. Are we sliding into the type of rulership these other countries have painstaking climbed out of?

Has big-O brought the promised changes? Or is he possibly bringing about an economic implosion in order to invoke military law and announce himself czar (who cannot be voted out of office because the country needs stability)?

Just a few thoughts, while you’re singing in the rain.

Yes, Kathryn. Howard County is between Washington DC and Baltimore, and more specifically between Montgomery County and Baltimore. The Post is about the school systems, teachers, and administators who are doing this. Sing about the presidency, country, flag, etc.–not about an individual leader.

Strupp
    Your sense of generalities and specifics are quite different from mine. “Obama, yes he rates, he’s so smart and he’s so good, he’ll lead, as he should, “it doesn’t get any more specific than that.
    And your Bush bashing is showing yet again. The Obama song ‘sucks’ and the sorta Bush song, which includes Congress and FEMA, is ‘a pile of horse manure, grotesque.”
    Since you asked, I think Mmmm Obama and what it represents is extremely worthy of discussion. You found one song related to a specific event that has Bush’s last name one time, as well as Congress’s. You had 8 years to choose from. I’ve got numerous examples where all of Obama’s names are mentioned multiple times and the lyrics are very specific. He’s been in office 8 months.

Obama-“Harmless generalities”
    Bush–Real life comedy

6. J. Strupp says:

“Obama, yes he rates, he’s so smart and he’s so good, he’ll lead, as he should,”

Obama is, in fact, rather intelligent.
    Obama does, in fact, lead this country.
    Obama should, in fact, lead this country as he was elected to do.

Whether or not he’s “good” is subjective. I do tend to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. I think most Americans do.

Congress and FEMA are not grotesque. The idea that former adminstration and FEMA should be considered in the same sentence as volunteers during the Katrina crisis is very much laughable. Once again, you may go ahead and call this Bush bashing. The evidence speaks for itself. My point was not to highlight yet another former President Bush failure. It was to highlight the fact that stuff like this happens and it’s not necessarily a leap into some sort of neo-National Socialist experiment as some think it is.

Bush bashing? Funny. My take? I don’t want my kid singing any song about god or country. School is a place for them to learn how to think, independent of god or country.

Strupp
    Then your beef is with the content of the song. You need to take that up with the song’s writer. My beef is I don’t believe they should be doing songs about an individual president. We’re talking about two different things.

And the subtle bush bashing continues. Congress and FEMA are not grotesque–seems like something was left out.

9. Dang. there are several directions to travel on that one. So the people who responded to “yes we can” are about the Bob the Builder mentality? I’m just trying to work this out…

10. Yes, I’ll agree, Elmbrook could be worse. I can see a leaner operation working just fine, but it could be worse.