Well, I did it.

I broke down and bought a new laptop. This is what I chose. Nothing’s perfect, but so far so good. I did pick up the external dvd drive, too.

It’s always weird making the change. The touch pad is too touchy, the keys feel too clean. I’ll get there.

This new one should travel almost as well as the other. I’ll miss my little u205-s5034. We’ve had a lot of fun together. But yesterday when I took it apart I realized there’d be more in repair parts than buying something new, so the decision was made.

First goal – adjust the finger pad so it will quit changing text size automatically. Grrrrrr.

1. Great choice for a laptop!

How do you like Windows 7?

2. It’s fine. Nothing earth shattering yet.

This point pad is a little hard to get used to, though.

3. My new delete button is in a crummy place. One more thing to learn.

The link goes to a Page Not Found at Best Buy

If yours is like mine 2 quick taps on the point pad is the same as a left click. Saves time.

6. I updated the driver. The cursor delay I was experiencing seems to have improved.

7. Yep. I caught that. The link goes to Toshiba now.

8. Wilson828 says:

You give more thought to buying computers than i do … taking them apart and such …. when it’s time .. it’s time. Buying electronics is what I live for.

9. Oh, I hear you Wilson828. But I loved that laptop. I had to know for sure.

10. Speaking of techno gear, and I know you’re into books Cindy, so do you have a Kindle? I just got one and I’m in love with it.

11. Nope. I just can’t see myself doing it. I like the book part of books. It might be challege to move to something else. Besides, I do a lot of my reading from the library. I can check out electronic stuff online from by PC, but does kindle let me do that?

12. Have you ever thought of a Mac? I love mine.

13. I’m cheap. Cheap cheap cheap. It’s hard to fork over for a Mac when PC’s are so much less.

A mac will last you twice as long, though. And virus protection isn’t an issue. Pay now or pay later.

15. Take the right measures, and your PC can be free of viruses. I would love to get a Mac – I played around with PPMS’s, and they are not all that bad. But I’m not forking over $1,000 or more just to have a Mac. I might get one of those older refurbished Minis though they sell online for $300.

16. I have very dull internet practices. I get a little spyware I clean now and then, but RoadRunner does do a good job of keeping the viruses out. Virus protection slows things down too much. I won’t use it.

I know you are just getting started but are there any big advantages to Windows 7 that jump out at you? I really know very little about the new system.

18. It’s more intuitive than I expected. There seem to be fewer layers to get where you want to go. It does look like there are some driver issues cropping up, though, and I’m having a rotten time with the WordPress software.

Would I rush out to upgrade the operating system? Heck no. But don’t fear it if you need a new computer and it’s already installed.

Long story short, better than Vista?

20. Probably. But I really never had a problem with Vista. The machine it’s on has 8 meg or RAM, though, so it was unlikely to have trouble with memory.