It’s On to …….

At his concession speech Russ Feingold said this:

“So it’s on to the next fight. It’s on to the next battle. It’s on to 2012, and it is on to our next adventure.”

This is a little unusual for a loser and can be be interpreted in several ways. Is he talking about the big one–to challange the President in the primaries ? Maybe he has his eye on replacing Joe Biden as the number two guy. Or does he have aspirations to defeat Senator Kohl or run for that seat if Kohl retires ?

That’s the view from afar. What do you that are near and dear have to say about Feingold’s statement and what it actually means ?

Comments

1. Russ, I believe, is too polarizing to ever be a serious presidential contender. He saw that feedback when he tested the waters in 2008. I don’t believe he’s done in politics, however.

There’s a move afoot, I believe on Facebook, suggesting him as Obama’s next chief of staff.

2. ….that he’s a politician and politicians say things like this so that they can walk into any door opened for them.

3. He’s not running against Obama. It means something else, if anything.

I actually liked his attitude in that speech.

Not so sure about chief of staff idea. Considering how the pres likes a Chicago style politics and Russ, for all his liberalism, is not a politician of that style.

I think Russ will have some nice opportunities open up for him. In politics or not.

4. Russ Feingold won’t be Obama’s next chief of staff; the next permanent chief of staff is the guy already serving as the interim chief of staff.

As to Feingold’s comments, they’re certainly open for interpretation, but I’m betting he was referring to the fight that’ll be the 2012 elections. Though he’s done as Wisconsin’s senator, no doubt he’ll be active in trying to help Democrats here in Wisconsin – and nationally – win in 2012.

5. He’s talking about the job I offered him to clean up dog poop in my back yard for $7.25 an hour. Thanks Russ!

6. It would be absolutely fascinating if he ran against Kohl in the primary. I think Feingold would win.

Interesting thought. Herb is got to be thinking retirement soon.

8. I figured Kohl will bow out precisely so Feingold can have the seat. Or attempt to have the seat. I do think Feingold could pick it up. I doubt Wisconsin will be very happy fully Republican and will keep a Dem around here or there.

Whiplash politics are here for a few cycles until we figure out how to crawl out of this last recession. I’m beginning to think that will take a decade.

(Yes, I’m alive. I’m supposed to be writing a ghost story once in first person present and then again in third person limited. It’s more fun to play with you guys.)

“I doubt Wisconsin will be very happy fully Republican and will keep a Dem around here or there.”

You really think that that the state will remain red? I’m sensing some overconfidence, and not just from you.

I do think Ruth Bader Ginsberg will retire before Obama is out of office, and Feingold would be an excellent replacement. He’d also be an excellent Attorney General. Maybe Eric Holder is going to move on. And the Kohl seat is probable–I hadn’t thought about a primary, though I’d fully support it. I’m sick of Kohl being ineffectual–a charge that was wrongly leveled against Feingold by the Johnson camp.

10. Gosh, Lorax. I thought I was admitting Wisconsin wouldn’t stay that red, but you call it over confidence? Maybe I wasn’t clear or you didn’t read for content, but I finished the statement with a bit about whiplash politics – yes, I expect the state to move from red to blue easily and often.

11. Jonas Wilkerson says:

I predict that Rahm Emanuel will summon Herb Kohl to Chicago for a “dead fish” summit. Immediately upon returning to Milwaukee, Herb Kohl will send out a press release saying he’s not running again. Part of the deal will allow Kohl to keep his milk stand at the Wisconsin State Fair.

At that point, Russ Feingold enters the race for U.S. Senate. Why? Because I think he could win. Yes, Feingold got beat last Tuesday fairly convincingly, but I just don’t believe he’s completely damaged. Also, I believe that Feingold is still the “Progressive Standard Bearer” of Wisconsin progressives. They still love him. Further, Wisconsin would be too nervous with 2 Republican U.S. Senators. They generally want balanced representation, especially if Republicans have too much power in this state. (Doesn’t seem to be the other way around.)

Most importantly, disillusion will set in among Republicans, Tea Partiers and independents come 2012. With the new Republican majority in the U.S. House, I’m not confident they can turn things around. They will try, and they will succeed in certain areas, but solving the $1.5 trillion deficit/$14 trillion debt takes political capital that neither party is willing to spend. To do so, you must address the issue of entitlements.

Finally, one cannot help but notice the peculiar timing of the Federal Reserve’s purchase of $600 billion in U.S. debt to “kick-start” the U.S. economy.

It will not “kick-start” the U.S. economy.

It is simply a sinister scheme to push off the inevitable collapse of the U.S. dollar in the absence of a serious austerity budget in Washington, D.C.

When the dollar collapses, inflation rises, unemployment rises, and the economy falls further, Democrats will once again point the finger at Republicans and make the case that their policies did this – not the $600 billion Federal Reserve action.

This is why Russ Feingold has a chance in 2012 for U.S. Senate.

Watch.

12. “It is simply a sinister scheme to push off the inevitable collapse of the U.S. dollar in the absence of a serious austerity budget..”

“Democrats will once again point the finger at Republicans and make the case that their policies did this – not the $600 billion Federal Reserve action.”

I’m thoroughly confused. First you’re saying that QE2 is delaying the collapse of the dollar, then you’re saying QE2 will be the reason for the collapse of the dollar.

Secondly, the dollar MUST go down. There is no other alternative to dollar depreciation AND lower budget deficits other than lower growth and higher unemployment. Macroeconomics is a closed system. It MUST work this way people.

In short, our political leadership has been a complete and utter failure in articulating it’s economic policy towards this crisis. We’re still having a lot of trouble understanding the basic problems we need to confront. This, a full 2 years into the aftermath of the biggest financial crisis in world history. It’s a travesty that continues to cost us trillions in lost output and years of lost prosperity for our people.

Yes, the Democrats took one for the White House Gipper and Speaker grandma on Tuesday, each of whom has indicated they just didn’t articulate Obamacare and other policies well enough or often enough to us, the American people–or described another way, those of us on the “back of the bus”, or us the “enemies”–take your pick. Their Chicago and San Francisco based ideologies are so far removed from reality I suspect they actually believe, on some level, what they are saying. Quite frankly their orations since Tuesday indicate they learned little and will change even less. As I wrote elsewhere on this site, Obama is no Clinton and his peak was reached the day he was inaugurated in January 2009.

The more signifcant inroads made by the Republicans were in the statehouses, both executive and legislative. Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and to some degree New Jersey will be in very different places in 2012 as to where they were in 2008. But most importantly by far, Barack Obama will not be a relative unknown. That perfect storm will not blow across this nation again. The not-Bush vote will be gone. Gitmo will still be operating as usual. If we stick to Obama’s plan to start withdrawing next year from Afghanistan that war will be a boondoggle–if we don’t withdraw it means his plan was ill conceived. The Bush tax cuts will be renewed. Cap and Trade is dead. Card check has very little chance of passage, especially now in the Senate. And hopefully the Republican candidate won’t be a maturing moderate. Look for the Whitehouse to “legislate” through it’s cabinet and enforcement divisions as well as use the courts to push it’s agenda.

For the next two years Congress will be a NASCAR racing machine with the gas pedal down and the engine in neutral. It may lurch forward or backward occasionally but mostly it will just make a lot of noise while going nowhere. And what many are overlooking is that the Democrats still control 2/3′ s of the Washington governmental machine, the all important driver, and the pit crew that helps oversee the operation. The new Republican car owners can withhold the funding and propose new alignments which they certainly will, but without the driver’s sanction or pit crew’s approval they can accomplish very little–and we fans know it.
    It’s a non-race for the most part I’ll enjoy watching .

14. Jonas Wilkerson says:

@ J. Strupp: I can see how I did not make myself clear. I believe that absent any action by the Federal Reserve to buy $600 billion in U.S. debt, the dollar is at risk of collapse in the short term because it’s been harder for the U.S. Treasury to sell U.S. debt.

The current move by the Federal Reserve pushes this off – perhaps 1, 2 or 3 years down the road. I’m not an expert at economics, or timing. However, once the reality of this massive $600 billion pump is realized, it will cause the dollar to collapse. I also don’t believe this will be the only action of this type by the Federal Reserve in the next year.

15. J. Strupp says:

IOW, in the absense of any new substantive ideas, Republican leadership will sit on it’s hands and claim that they’re tied. 1994 again.

Sounds like politics as usual. It is what it is. But so much for the teaparty “movement” being anything more than a repackaging of good ol’ GOP tactics.

And that’s how this flash in the pan ends. With a yawn.

Strupp
    The flash in the pan just spearheaded an effort that ridded Congress of 60 Obama votes on most every issue in the House and shut the door on a filibuster proof Senate. Percentage wise the gain in the Senate is higher than in the House–18% to 13.8%. Regardless of what happens from here on Obama’s term is pretty much dead in the water. You yawn and I’ll use a statement made on this site in 2008–I’ll sleep better. Congress’s ‘solving’ things is why we are where we are now.

17. That’s excellent.

Now tell me why this major upheaval is something more than simply rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic?

Strupp
    I guess your comment describes how differently each of us view our lives and our lif’e’s journey. You choose to be on the Titanic and I choose to be on the Mayflower. Happy sailing to each of us. 🙂

19. I just want to know why some of your comments go through easily, J. Strupp, while others get sucked up by the spam filter.

20. Me too. Its strange. All are sent with the same laptop. I wish i could help but im not doing anything different with each comment i dont think.

21. No one’s talking about our life’s journey. This is a comment box of a political blog. And the last i checked, our political leadership has failed us on many levels for many years. So as i said, what makes you think this new group of folks brings anything special to the table?