Neumann, New Race?

Hmmm… so first this editorial.

And now meetings with the RNC Chair in Washington.

I wonder if something is brewing here…….. and I also wonder, if the climate continues to get worse for the left, if Kohl might join Conrad, Lieberman, Webb, and Bingaman as another Senator caucusing with the Democrats who enters retirement rather than run for reelection in 2012.

(To be fair, Kyl and Hutchinson have also retired, but AZ and TX seem like pretty safe red states)

Comments

1. jimspice says:

20 years ago, I got a kick out of mixing it up with Sen. Kohl at Ma Fisher’s at 5 in the morning (the end of my day, presumably the beginning of his) and expected big things from him. But what legislation do you associate with the name Kohl?

Tick tock.

Feingold? 3 signature pieces that I can think of, each of them paired with a Republican. Oh, yes, he is such the LIBERAL.

Today, in the past 24 hours, I’ve read horrible assessments of the evil WI left. Jo Anne Kloppenburg, who spent 3 years in Botswana in the Peace Corps, State Rep. Jon Richards, who volunteered with Mother Teresa in Calcutta, and Feingold, an Oxford Rhodes Scholar.

No. We’re the good guys.

2. Your list of the good guys is amusing.

What have you done or do you always live by association?

—-

I’m not so sure I’m excited about another Neumann race. I have to think about that one.

Conneticut is a safe seat for us, and Tim Kaine will win in Virginia if he runs.

4. Says the boy who thinks Alberta Darling is about to be replaced…

5. It is true that CT will stay with the Dems and in fact move further to the left than the fairly moderate Lieberman.

But I suspect AZ and TX will move further to the right. The favorite in AZ is Club for Growth darling Jeff Flake. I don’t think TX has a clear favorite, but Hutchenson was pretty moderate for a Texas Republican.

I hope Kaine decides to run and I really encourage President Obama to come into the state to campaign for him–often.

It’s funny how Jim Webb is retiring. He’s not running because he knows he won’t win. He defeated George “macaca” Allen by 0.4 % of the vote and did not receive 50 % of the votes cast. Tim Kaine defeated a very weak Republican candidate for governor with 51.7 % of the vote and is best known as the governor who passed a law requiring restaurants to have a non-smoking section. Remember, this is Virginia–a tobacco growing state. And in a Presidential race today, Obama would not carry Virginia. In the 2009 governor’s race, conservative Bob McDonnell won by almost 18 %. The mood in Virginia has changed considerally, and Jim Webb knows it. Kaine may run knowing that if Obama is re-elected there will be a place for him in his administration.

And then there’s talk of Giffords running in AZ. I think it won’t happen–but weirder things have happened, and she’d be the favorite.

And the (R) primary in AZ is going to be ugly.

Randy, I don’t think your wrong, I’m just really hoping that Tim wins 😀

Lorax
    There is a chance Kaine may not run and will accept a good position in the Obama administration or just stay with the DNC. I would guess the wait in announcing his intentions is to hold his finger to the political winds in the state.

9. Anonymous Politico says:

My hope is that Mark Neumann doesn’t believe that the Republican establishment is somehow going to deliver support and resources to his possible U.S. Senate bid. It’s important for Mr. Neumann to remain realistic as he looks ahead to running again. He would make a great candidate and U.S. Senator. However, his visit with RNC Chairman Reince Priebus was completely unnecessary. I can imagine that conversation didn’t go as expected. Unfortunately, the visit only affirms the importance of the state and national party apparatus in giving candidates credibility. If the “Tea Party” is truly gaining influence in and out of the Republican Party, then candidates like Mr. Neumann shouldn’t “do Washington,” but should hit the main streets of Wisconsin instead.

Well Lorax, your guy Tim Kaine has thrown his hat into the ring for Senator from Virginia. A rare event because each of us is pleased. We’ll see.