Education in America

The topic has really been on my mind the last few days. I’ve decided to devote next week to the subject. If you have thoughts or ideas you’d like to have included, now is the time to bring it up.

It’s a big subject, and I’m convinced it’s holding us back economically. We’ll get into that soon enough. In the meantime, shoot me links of articles you’ve found interesting on the topic.

Comments

1. Not sure I agree with everything he says, but this should certainly get some discussion going:

2. Looking forward to it. I’ve been thinking a lot about this topic as well.

3. Maybe we should do a back and forth next week. It could be a lot of fun.

4. go back to math, abc, spelling, geography, history and you got it. in the past to many so called intellects, non political, have asserted better subject matter.

5. Oh Dick, that is SO 2 generations ago. Math? Spelling? History? Get with the times.

CLEARLY, the only path to improve education is to devote significant amounts of class time to learning about the many great trans-gendered Americans and their immense contributions to society. 😉

I’d like to hear about property tax caps and the funding formula.

And Ryan, that is HISTORY. Just maybe not yours.

So I guess a discussion about curriculum would be good too. Who gets to decide it?

Does this mean California has not been acknowledging the talents of Percy Shelley, Truman Capote, Eleanor Roosevelt, Montgomery Clift, Melissa Etheridge, Rep. Barney Frank, Billie Jean King, Lord Byron, Elton John, and many others; and do they show the TV program ‘Ellen’ that is taped in that very state ?

I had the great fortune to meet Elton John in person and spend a little time with him. I love his music. I find him immensely talented– though not because he’s gay.

Yes, acknowledge their talents and accomplishments for what they are, not that they are gay or lesbian.

Actually, Randy, my History classes only briefly touched on none of the figures you list. 🙂

9. “I had the great fortune to meet Elton John in person and spend a little time with him. I love his music. I find him immensely talented– though not because he’s gay”

This gets at precisely the flaw in this sort of multicultural mindset.

It reminds me of the NYT writer who put together a list of the top 10 composers of all time a few months back. He conceded at “The Vienna Four” were easily among the top 10 composers of all time in terms of what they achieved musically in their lifetimes…. but thought it was unfair that contemporaries from Austria would compose 40% of his list. So he threw one of them (Haydn) off.

The CA law takes the same type of thinking to its logical conclusion. Forget that students today are more ignorant than at any point in American history (25% of teens think that Columbus came to the New World some time after 1750). Apparently these Senators feel that what we need is not an understanding of the basics, we need more students to feel good about the groups they identify with.

But in the end, that is the most bigoted view of all…. MLK doesn’t need to be propped up by black history month; his greatness stands on its own, as all true greatness does. In the realm of music, Randy has found the same to be true with Elton John.

I’m sure MLK wanted to be known as a great American, not a great black American.

I’m sure Elton wants to be known as a great musician, not a great gay musician.

To imply that minor figures in history need to be studied in K12 history class because they represent some social interest group is one of the most condescending ideas I have ever heard.

10. true. i still study the civil war era with an open mind. nowdays the students do not have a clue abut World War II. again, get back to the basics. first, learn to speak english correctly, then learn how to spell the words, for a good start.

Agreed. So then the question reverts back to the one I originally posed, which is, how do we ensure curricula?

Dick
    Then you know that this week begins the Sesquicentennial of the civil war. It will be commemorated here in Richmond as well as many other locales.

13. J. Strupp says:

I think it would be very interesting to incorporate some content regarding Ex-Mayor Adrian Fenty and Michelle Rhee’s work in the public schools of D.C.

14. yes i do know about the civil war event. wish i could be in Richmond to see it.