Two Thoughts on Sarah Palin

1) Palin came out with one of the silliest quotes from a politician I’ve ever heard in awhile.

“”in my opinion, any mandate coming from government is not a good thing”

ANY mandate is bad?  Really?  Does that include mandates to not murder?  Mandates to pay the taxes you owe?  Mandates to obtain a drivers license before operating a car?  Or auto insurance?  You did have a mandate to buy auto insurance in order to drive back in Alaska you know…..  Just a vapid statement on her part.

Palin is an interesting character….. she’s really a symptom of our culture which places an excessively high amount of value on having the right image and an excessively low amount on wisdom.  The closest thing Palin offers to wisdom is when she repeats some lines that she heard other people say.  But she says them in the right way and she has the right persona, so there is a certain segment out there that adores her.  And the fact that some adore her makes folks on the left hysterical, which brings me to my second point….

2) This cartoon pretty much says it all…. (from hotair.com)

It is pretty funny how MSNBC and the left generally makes Palin the center of their universe.  It would be interesting how the coverage would change if Palin suddenly became a leftist.  I don’t find Palin to overly impressive, but is she really much different than, say, Barbara Boxer?

Comments

Ryan
    You are up late.

If you insert the name Obama in the last paragraph of your number 1) and insert right for left, you have the perfect description for Barack Obama. The one difference is we’ve experienced 2 1/2 years of his lack of leadership and failed policies while she’s pretty much been successful in most everything she’s tried. The one time in her life she moved her ideology to the left, in 2008, she was not successful.

2. J. Strupp says:

It sure seems like Randy just tried to change the subject.

Of course she’s different than Boxer. Palin’s a former beauty queen who likes to shoot guns and drive around in an oversized bus with her signature painted on the side. She’s flashy and polarizing and MSNBC would be nuts to not focus on her for a substantial amount of time.

And there’s no doubt in my mind Palin wasn’t clear on what “mandate” meant which is the reason for the silly quote. The word sounded heavy handed to her so her first reaction was to denounce mandates as being another mechanism for government control. It’s a conditioned response by now.

Strupp
    I’m not sure how talking about the name in a Post’s title is changing the subject. It must be wonderful to be able to read people’s minds.

4. ““Those who survived the [1989] San Francisco earthquake,” Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) reportedly declared at the time, “said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/41740.html#ixzz1ODmblrj8.”

5. John Foust says:

So then you’d like this image?

6. Randy: very good point that Obama fits the same mold as Palin in regards to fitting the right image. Wanting politicians who are experts on policy is SO 20th century.

J. Strupp: I actually agree that given their audience, it makes sense that MSNBC cover Palin heavily. The question is: what does that say about the shallowness of their audience? Generally I would think you’d want to devote a lot of time learning about people who you think are wise, not people who you think are idiots.

7. J. Strupp says:

Agreed Ryan. I would say that there’s a significant segment of 24 hour cable news viewers that are fairly shallow.

And of course it’s a good idea to devote a lot of time learning about people who you think are wise, not people who you think are idiots. But that’s not why Americans watch 24 hour news networks. They watch because the networks provide content which entertains by reinforcing a viewer’s political views don’t they?

8. For the most part, yes. But its broader than that…. shallow entertainment has trumped the pursuit of wisdom in most aspects of society, don’t you think?

9. Ooh. Now that’s a discussion we should really have sometime. That and how too much free time is a burden to our society. I think it would tie in well.

10. J. Strupp says:

Yes and yes.

11. Ryan, the comment from Boxer was made in 1989. If that’s the best you can offer, your analogy is looking pretty weak. Palin sticks her foot in her mouth much more frequently than once every twelve years or so. 😉

12. Speaking of material, Palin provides plenty of that for late night comedians. Heeeeere’s Sarah!

“He who warned, uh, the … the British that they weren’t gonna be takin’ away our arms, uh, by ringin’ those bells and, um, by makin’ sure that as he’s ridin’ his horse through town to send those warnin’ shots and bells that, uh, we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free … and we were gonna be armed.”

Sarah’s pretty good with the ahs, but here is the master.

And how would this 20 second spot look all typed out ?

14. jimspice says:

We all say “uh.” Or something similar. It gives us time to think. But I honestly believe when Obama does it, it’s along the lines of “how could this best be said” while when Palin does it, it’s more like “oh please Jesus, put the answer in my head.”

Thank you for your honesty, jimspice. Your elitist, secular comment sums up Palin hysteria and hypocrisy by the left much better than anything we on the right could ever say.

milton

“Do me a favor, could you say Senator , it’s just a thing, ‘she’ (Boxer) worked so hard to earn that title.”

17. jimspice says:

RaiR: I take your secular observation as a compliment: that is what the founders intended. As for your elitist assignation (see how I did that? used a big word supposedly illustrating your point?), my father had a 6th grade education, my mother an 8th. The wisest people I have known. They committed themselves to give their 8 children a better shot than they had. Times tables were memorized, money was counted UP, and grammar was corrected. Yes, I graduated college, the 2nd out of 120 first cousins. Yes I’m the first in my extended family to obtain a masters degree, and complete course work for a PhD. But I have not forgotten who I am. And who I am is someone who wants someone smarter than me to make the complicated decisions that face our nation. I don’t believe Sarah Palin is that person.

18. jimspice says:

Oh, and I forgot. Pecker head.

Palin is making decisions that affect our nation ?

I don’t have a Master’s Degree but I really don’t think our founders intended that private citizens not say a silent prayer, if they wish.

21. jimspice – What the heck is Pecker head? Part of being an intelligent member of society includes the responsibility to be able to communicate with the rest of us lower beings. I do hope you’ll try harder.

Completed the course work for a PhD? Problems following through? Never hooded? Do tell more.

22. takin’ ringin’ makin’ ridin’ warnin’

Elly May Clampett impersonation?

23. What? It’s elitist snob commenter’s day on FC? About half the country speaks in a similar dialect. I’ll add you to the list of those who should try to get over their own exceptional self esteem.

24. “everybody’s got to have somebody to look down on.” 😉

25. The closest thing Palin offers to wisdom is when she repeats some lines that she heard other people say.

26. jimspice says:

“Do tell more.”

No, given your recent penchant for criticism of people’s mid-steam career changes, I think I’ll refrain.