Mystery Graph

Any guesses as to what my mystery graph represents?

(I’m thinking this should be an easy one….)

Comments

1. Wi. school districts property tax levies. Do I get a prize? 🙂

2. Ryan Morgan says:

Yep… and more specifically, the year to year change in the total statewide levy.

So rather than the huge tax increases that have occurred 13 of the last 14 years, Wisconsin taxpayers are saving almost $50,000,000 this year on their property taxes.

The more people learn about the real-world results of Walker’s reform bill, the more they’ll wonder why something like it wasn’t passed sooner.

3. The change in the property tax levies?

4. Representing $50 Million in cuts to education.

5. Ryan Morgan says:

Wow, that’s interesting. I didn’t know state workers’ pensions counted as education!

6. Ryan Morgan says:

Can you demonstrate all the great benefits we were getting in return for paying an additional 200 million per year in the prior years?

If all that extra spending wasn’t buying us anything, then why would cutting that spending hurt us?

7. $50 million in cuts to the cost of education does not reduce the value of education by $50 million. That’s a fallacy the left wants to stick, but it’s not working.

8. $50,000,000=$6 per person in WI to gut our schools. Hardly a good trade.

I’m surprised that big numbers confuse you so much

9. Ryan Morgan says:

Well that was quite illogical.

“Gut our schools”? Really? If, as you say, the cuts are such a small amount (about 1% of the total levy to be precise) then how will they “gut our schools”?

10. Ryan Morgan says:

Oh, and in addition to being illogical, you are also bad at math. The population of Wisconsin is about 5.7 million. So the $47 million in savings is about $8.25 per person.

(Additionally, per person is not a very good way to measure taxes, especially property taxes, but I’ll let that point go for now)

11. the “per person” is not clear. who are these persons that are per. homeowners, all taxpayers, no taxpayers, students, children or what. is every living creature included? then who bears the heavy burden of paying for the schools ?

12. Ryan Morgan says:

Yeah, exactly right Dick. Most minors don’t pay property taxes. Neither do those who rent. So the “per person” metric doesn’t mean much.

My point was even if you make the “person” the broadest definition it could possibly be, grumps’ $6 estimate was way too low.

13. then the only “per persons” that financially support the school systems are real estate property owners who pay property taxes. right ? ok. what percentage of all the persons is that ? someone must have the stats. for example, i.e., if 30 per cent of all the persons pay property taxes then 30 per cent of all the people pay for the school systems ? right? i may be way off, but if that is true then what do the 70 percent of all the people pay for our schools ? (nothing). then we all should lease our homes and pay nothing, or do something accounting wise. or maybe, make the other 70 percent cough up their fair share. does this end up being an punitive burden on property tax owners ? me and my friends appreciate you information.

That’s an incredible statistic, Ryan. And hat’s off to Milton–I would never have known the meaning.

15. Randy. what stat you refer to ? Ryan, as the math expert answer me if you please.

16. I think Randy just meant the graph as a whole. Being in VA, he doesn’t have the luxury of our local media who (at least in some circles) have given Walker’s tax levy some attention in recent days.

As for who pays for property taxes, I think it gets complicated because businesses pay property taxes too. So in some sense, you could argue that everyone pays property taxes because companies pass their property (and all other) taxes along in the prices of the products/services they sell. But if you want to ignore that and only look at residential property taxes, I think it would be something like this: 20% of the population rents or leases housing or lives in dorms. And of the other 80%, there’s about 3 people on average living in a house/condo where property taxes are paid at any given time. So I think that comes out pretty close to what you were saying.

I may work with numbers for a living, but I don’t have that exact statistic, so I’m estimating just like you are.

17. Great news!!! How much smaller is the total state budget than Doyle’s last one?

Dick
    Ryan is correct. My reference was to the overall graph and the obvious change.

19. OK

20. Hmmm… and our town was up 10.2% in its levy.