“Exonerated” is such a cool word

Oh go read it for yourself.

John Doe is a slippery fellow, isn’t he? Go read all the hysteria surrounding the sure deal that was Andrew Jensen. Check the blog fodder from Capper and Blogging Blue and I’m sure I could find more.

Arrested, released, exonerated. And this is America!

As I have explained before, the Milwaukee District Attorney needs to poop or get off the potty on this one before the first of May. That’s my deadline. Will he meet it?

(And yes. I still doubt the crowd that surrounds Scott Walker, but if Walker is innocent, then he’s innocent. If he’s guilty and got away with it? The the Milwaukee DA needs to find another job. If Walker’s guilty? Then get on with it.)

PS – this qualifies as a “state” post and I’m off the hook for writing about the WI Republican Senate primary. Maybe I’ll surprise you this weekend. 🙂

Comments

Did you see Bice changed it from exonerated to cleared? Revisionist journalism at it’s best.

2. Ah man. No I didn’t. Thanks for the notice. Heck I don’t even do stuff like that.

But exonerated is such an excellent word! Maybe none of the readers who are left for the paper knew what it meant?

Exonetated is a much better, stronger word. I bet that irked the JS brass and they made him soften it. Wouldn’t want anything to look too good for Walker you know. I can’t wait to see who they endorse in the recall 🙂

4. Didn’t they endorse Walker over Barrett in the election?

5. “Did you see Bice changed it from exonerated to cleared?” – dad

I don’t think so, pops: “Real estate broker exonerated in John Doe probe”

6. No, that’s the headline. Editors do that. I’m pretty sure it was in other text. It can be hard to track down after a couple of days if it’s been changed. Or, maybe they changed it back. 🙂

Hey Miltie – you might want to link the latest active post by Mr. Bice…

They did endorse Walker in the general election, will be interesting to see their take on the two this time (assuming it’s a Barrett v Walker contest)

9. Oh, man. Now I’m so confused! Thanks for showing up to do the clean up, bdad.

Actually, I am just as confused now. The latest post says cleared, but in the links to the latest blogs in that post, it says exonerated. Either way it’s changed. I really hate, however, how the electronic medium allows a journalist to change an article once published. It just shouldn’t be… 🙂

11. Hence the reason I don’t claim to be a journalist. 🙂

12. Very strange. Why would he change exonerated to cleared? The two are synonymous:

“to clear, as of an accusation; free from guilt or blame; exculpate”

13. Because exculpated wasn’t any easier for the readers to understand?

There are 2 “posts” of this subject online. Each has it’s own but similar URL and a different set of comments . The technical differences are as follows:

Exonerated:
    First comment 8:05pm , April 19th
    Tab: None
    Subtitle: No Quarter Blog

Cleared:
    First comment 8:46pm , April 19th
    Tab: Watchdog
    Subtitle: No Quarter

The content of the 2 “posts” is also different while the main thrust is the same. My take is that the later, cleared, article is supposed to be news with less opinion and not a blog, while the earlier blog is just that–a blog.

For instance the cleared article closes with sentences on Walker’s legal fees, his assertion that he is not a target, and his refusal to say whether or not he has met with Chisholm. The exonerated blog has no such closing.

So it appears all are right (or left) depending on your ‘entrye du heure’.

15. Although the word exonerated was removed from the title its cousin was used in the article. The third sentence reads:

“Now Jensen is cooperating with authorities in the secret investigation, and this is what he just received:

A letter of exoneration.”

“Does not compute, Will Robinson”

16. Astute observation, Randy. Do you think we can rule out the ‘left wing media conspiracy’ theory, or should someone get in touch with Charlie Sykes?

17. Oh, Randy. That’s a lot of logical thinking before I down my first cup of coffee. Somewhere in one of those might be the italic notice “published on xx/xx/xx” and that would be the print version.

Miltie, if you can settle yourself for a minute, I think Bdad’s point, if I may be so bold, is that exonerated was a strong word and did in fact lend one to gather some enthusiasm for the news while cleared is a more subdued word eliciting less emotional response. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and overhear the decision to move between words.

Unless you’ve had an operation or add uncle to your adopted B’dad moniker, I would suggest Milton suits you more than Miltie, Milton. 🙂

19. Guilty until proven innocent to the Cappers of the world.