Obama’s sudden desire to embrace gay marriage

I’m flying today so this is going to be short.

1) My personal opinion is that so many people screw up marriage, we should probably do away with it completely.

2) If we can’t do that, then I think if everyone wants life to be fair, then everyone should be issued civil union certificates from the state. Go have a civil union with your dog if you want. I really don’t care.

3) Marriage is a spiritual concept steeped in the Judeo-Christian religion. If you can find a church to marry you and your dog, go for it. Religious institutions should be issuing certificates of marriage, not the state.

All that said, President Obama’s got one thing on his mind, and that is his re-election. Remember how we’ve talked here before that I think Obama was elected by all those independents who wanted to prove to themselves they weren’t racist? (Can’t find the link and I’m heading to the airport, so if someone else does, pop it in the comments below.) Well I think Obama is calculating he can guilt all those soccer moms into wanting to prove to themselves they aren’t homophobic this round.

Just wait. Oh, are we going to be called prejudice for not agreeing with Obama’s newly found commitment to gay marriage. Deeply dividing this country on social issues is all Obama knows. It’s in his community organizing training.

In the meantime, if you have one, go find your own marriage certificate. It’ll be one of those relics that show up on the wall in a Cracker Barrel someday.

1. Dick Cheney came to the views on same-sex marriage at least 3 years before Barack Obama did. Funny I don’t recall Newsweek or others in the media praising him for such a courageous stand.

2. J. Strupp says:

Dick Cheney was President?

If a poll was taken and the question was, ” who would be showing more courage to support same-sex marriage, Vice President Dick Cheney or President Barack Obama”?–I predict Dick Cheney would poll the higher of the two from respondents of both parties. Can only Presidents make difficult decisions or be recognized for doing so?

And Newsweek did put Vice President Cheney on the cover, one example of which is given here:

4. J. Strupp says:

I’m just waiting for the rest of your party to have the courage to support gay marriage, Randy. That’s all.

Let’s be real. If Cheney didn’t have a personal connection here his stance would not be what it is. My reference to courage is not the content of the stance that Cheney took, but the fact that he took the stance at all. The two are entirely different.

Sometimes it takes more courage to have convictions and beliefs than yield to the populists leanings along with peer and media pressures.

6. Why is it courageous to support gay marriage?

7. J. Strupp says:

Because almost every religion in the world is stuck in the 7th (or whatever) century on this issue and many Americans are openly defying their faith to stand for what they believe is morally right.

I would put Dick Cheney in this category for sure. Not only was he publically defying his religion but also his party. It just took a close family member being gay to realize that the anti-gay marriage argument is a bunch of malarkey. Whatever works.

So I guess I agree with Randy that Cheney was couragous. I think the list of things we agree on now stands at 2.

Newsweek’s depicting President Obama with the “rainbow” halo is it’s own feeble attempt to bring back the glory days of 2008 when Obama was the candidate who would deliver the left from the bondage created by the evil Bush, Cheney, Rove, and others.

Newsweek is living in LA-La land as both sides now know that ship has sailed. Nothing like 3 1/2 years of ineptness and abject failure to expose a faux savior. No amount of pseudo editorializing can take us back to the “Hope and Change” days of 2008 regardless of how much Newsweek and others want to do so. Just as the mighty Titanic, this President also leaves a wide wake in the water through which he has passed. Whether or not 2012 will be his iceberg – time will tell.

9. J. Strupp says:

You REAALLLYYY wanted to get that off your chest hey? I’m not sure about this Presidency being like the “mighty Titanic” but it definately has left plenty to be desired.

I take it Newsweek is this week’s Republican center of discussion?

Maybe you should have a Newsweek burning party. Although I’m sure the irony of burning a book would be absent in the minds of the so-called party of “liberty.”

11. “Although I’m sure the irony of burning a book would be absent in the minds of the so-called party of “liberty.”

What makes you sure?