Rumors persist as to Walker’s indictment

It’s all over the left half of the state that Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and a few other will be charged following the recall election for campaigning on Milwaukee County resources.

I’ve been researching and writing a bit the last couple of days. I’d forgotten how much of what Walker did at Milwaukee County smelled like pay to play. I even called him on it once. I’m not saying he’s going down, but if there’s trouble, that’s likely to be a problem, too.

In the meantime, vote early, and vote often. 😉 Early voting is available at your municipality offices. After this long weekend, the vote is just a week away.

Tick tock.

Comments

1. You might want to correct yourself. HNN-US is hardly a lefty site. Then again, you probably won’t. You relish in being wrong so much.

2. jimspice says:

They were the ones that falsely claimed that the recall had enough signatures in an apparent effort to dissuade signers, right?

But the comments at the link sure are a hoot.

3. Capper – I didn’t call it a lefty sight, but said the left is talking about it. I guess I sort of left myself some room there, but I understand that you wouldn’t want to see it that way.

jimspice – I missed your reference. If it’s important link it. Otherwise I’ll let it go.

What is it with you two? I’m playing your song and you are decidedly unhappy about it. Hmmmm.

4. Oh, Cindy, that’s what I love about you RWNJs. You’re all so predictably disingenuous with your projecting. We know that this is nothing more than a right wing attempt to smear the investigation.

However, not one of you has ever said the charges are untrue. I wonder why not. Do you like supporting someone you suspect of being a criminal?

5. Capper, sweetheart, put down the cup and back away from the keyboard. You just aren’t doing yourself any favors tonight.

If there’s something out there, let it be. Isn’t that pretty much what my post said?

Capper
    You have a “Donate to the Capper Defense Fund” button on your website. Perhaps if you disclosed it’s purpose here I might donate.

7. Oh, that’s not a defense fund, that’s a cooperation fund.

8. It could still be wishful thinking. Anyway, it isn’t as if Rod Blagojevich or Jon Corzine have cost the Democrats support in Illinois or New Jersey. Corzine probably won’t even be charged with any wrongdoing and is still raising money for President Obama. In politics, there are more important things than being ethical.

Cindy, do you have a cooperation fund? Is that something most bloggers have?

10. KPOM, you got a big sigh from me. Don’t you wish we could expect ethical behavior?

jimspice
    H.N.N.U.S.A. did report the number of signatures collected, but like Cindy I would like to see your link where he “falsely claimed” they had enough prior to the end of the recall drive. My reading of the posts show otherwise.

12. Expecting ethical behavior would be nice, but it isn’t going to happen. Politicians who don’t “deliver the bacon” get defeated by the public. It would take a sea change of public opinion to change that. Remember, Rod Blagojevich handily won re-election. George Ryan won easily in 1998 even though it was obvious he would be indicted.

My own view is that Walker knew what was going on, but that what he did was no different from what politicians everywhere do, and in his mind he stayed within the lines (and perhaps from a legal perspective, as well). Any prosecution of the sort is necessarily political. It is difficult to draw the line on what constitutes “campaigning on public time.” Reportedly, Congressmen of both parties walk outside their offices onto the parking lot and switch to their personal cell phones to skirt federal laws. Nonetheless, when they trade favors for contributions, or horse trade with other members for votes for their pet projects, they are “campaigning” in a sense, but in a wholly legal way.

In any case, it’s unlikely there will be an indictment before the election. It would be seen as an attempt to interfere with an election, and might actually backfire (by increasing a “sympathy” vote for the GOP. It does potentially raise the stakes for the Kleefisch recall, though. Perhaps Mahlon Mitchell will play this up over the next 8 days.

13. @KPOM

Are you saying all politicians have a secret router and email system to try to avoid open records requests?

14. @capper, nothing any politician does surprises me. Your hero got himself elected to virtually every office he held before President by getting his opponents disqualified from the ballot or by releasing sordid details about his opponent’s personal lives. Politicians as a rule are contemptible people who neither want nor deserve our respect. As far as I’m concerned, politicians should be limited to one term in any single office, and 12 years total in politics. There is no need for anyone to be in office longer than that.

All politicians are to be considered corrupt until proven otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt. As far as I’m concerned, from a voter’s perspective, politicians are tools to be used to advance a cause and then tossed to the scrap heap when they are no longer useful. Walker is putting through some necessary reforms and so gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

I would say most politicians on all levels do much worse than hide emails.

16. You know, KPOM, you nailed it there. I’m writing this book. I’ve decided I don’t like Scott Walker, but I can certainly separate that from the fact that I love what he and the Republican legislature did for Wisconsin.

17. J. Strupp says:

I agree. Well done KPOM. I liked this sentence in particular, “Politicians as a rule are contemptible people who neither want nor deserve our respect.”

I think we get too emotionally tied to certain politicians and the party they belong to instead of, as you say, viewing them as, “tools to be used to advance a cause….”. If the voter put more of an emphasis on results, we wouldn’t be re-electing a lot of these deadbeats every election cycle.

18. So we can call them “tools” and leave it at that.

You know, this discussion does sadden me a bit. I enjoyed being elected, and I worked very hard to honor the position. I’d love to be elected again, but it became obvious I wouldn’t play according to the party rules, so I was given a very hard landing.

The bottom line: Too few people think for themselves in choosing an elected representative. Kind of a bummer. As always, we get what we vote for in the end.

19. I just can’t jump on the bandwagon that all politicians are always evil. Many, yes. Blanket generalizations are shallow, just as some politicians are.

I do think the longer you hold an office the more likely you are to shift core values to the dark side of politics. But I refuse to believe there are no redeemable politicians. We just need to be more discerning voters.

You all are a sour group. 🙁

20. if you think running for public office is easy then try it. you give up your family, your job, your free time, your meals, your sleep, your free speech and your image. when you do that you are a real American.

Dick
    Well said. I like your glass is half-full philosophy. I don’t look to the government to solve my problems and thus I’m really expect very little from it.