Hello President Romney

1. Brilliant ad.

I’d run a whole series along these lines. Small business owners have been the most neglected political group for quite some time now. Make the election about them. Highlight their sacrifices. The debt they pay off. The toiling hours.

Tailor the ads by geography. Have farmers in Iowa and Wisconsin, manufacturing companies in Pennsylvania, etc.

Also, tie it back to “spread the wealth around” and other comments the president has made. Show it wasn’t just a 1 time slip of the tongue, but rather a consistent worldview.

If most people know what Obama really stands for, he doesn’t have a prayer. This is an “in” to that education process. The more people know, the less they will like.

2. Obama 2008: “Yes we can”
    Obama 2012: “No you didn’t”

Obama’s recent remarks are “Joe the Plumber” II. And there’s one difference. Many more people will believe him this time.

Where’s the “Like” button for that ad? 🙂

I don’t do bumper stickers Ryan, but that would make a great one.

6. J. Strupp says:

And this is how President Romney is going to help small business owners:

“Small business owners have been the most neglected political group for quite some time now.”

Can we set our political views aside for a moment and just admit that your statement is really quite false?

8. Well it is a subjective judgment, but I think there’s a case to be made. The left heaps on more regulation in many sectors of the economy, which hurts small businesses the most (it is harder to keep up with these 2600 page bills when you are a company of 5 people than when you are a company of 5000 people with 50 in your Legal Department). And both parties are guilty of a lot of crony capitalism that favors bigger companies and makes it even harder for the little guy to compete.

But yes, I’ll amend my statement from “the most” to “one of the most”. Happy?

9. Who’s President Romney?

The ad’s not bad, but Americans don’t really vote policy anymore. They don’t even vote effectiveness or job approval. If they did, GWB would’ve been bounced out on his behind in 2004. So why didn’t that happen?

Easy. Americans vote likeability now. That’s not really a fantastic standard, but I don’t make the trends, I just observe them. And Obama’s likeability ratings have been remarkably resilient over the last 3 1/2 years and are way ahead of Romney’s marks in the same area.

There’s no way the American public comes to like the GOP equivalent of John Kerry – the effete, out-of-touch rich guy who owns a prissy horse that dances to recorded music. And there’s no way that Romney can drag Obama’s likeability numbers down to where his numbers are.

At some point, for Romney to win, he has to get Americans to like him.

I would submit the ad is great because it is ‘not’ about policy but Obama’s core belief system in socialism. A continuation of the “It Takes a Village” theme.

Tying likeability to election results can be tricky but the trait is not a game changer. George Bush’s likeability was 57-59% prior to the 2004 election yet he garnered only 50.7% of the vote. But if one looks at the 2004 economic statistics at the same point then as now, it’s easier to see why Bush was re-elected:

•Unemployment rate: 5.6%
    •Civilian participation rate: 66.1%
    •Job additions in previous quarter: 640,000
    •GDP growth in previous two quarters: 2.6%, 2.7%
    •ISM index (manufacturing):60.2
    ~ Gasoline: $2.82/gallon

Now (2012)
    •Unemployment rate: 8.2%
    •Civilian participation rate: 63.8%
    •Job additions in previous quarter: 225,000
    •GDP growth in previous two quarters: 1.9%, 3.0%
    •ISM index (manufacturing): 49.7
    ~Gasoline: $3.42/Gallon

And more people disapprove today of Obamacare than were opposed to the Iraq War in 2004. Also in 2004, real estate values, which affect millions of Americans directly were strong, with repossessions and homes under water at traditional rates.

On a personal level, I ‘liked’ Bill Clinton but didn’t vote for him. I don’t really warm up to George Bush but I voted for him. If asked on a poll if I ‘liked’ Barack Obama I would answer in the affirmative. If asked if I liked his policies or his leadership ability I would respond in the negative.

And I totally disagree that Mitt Romney is effete. It would mean he “lacks vigor, is degenerate, decadent, exhausted of vigor or energy, unable to produce(sterile), weak.”

This father of 5, entrepreneur, former governor, and Olympic Chairman that took over a failing Salt Lake City Olympic organization and turned it around to make a $100 million profit—is anything but effete.

11. J. Strupp says:

The family still built and grew the business. Did they not pay the loans back? Maybe someone can name the “somebody else that made it happen” the President is referring to.

13. J. Strupp says:

I’m just glad they got a little help along the way, Randy. Which was the President’s point.

And BTW, why is it that this ad decided to take out the line, “Somebody invested in roads and bridges.”

I’m confident that you don’t feel that is line changes the context of the President’s comments in any way. I’m just curious as to why they didn’t just leave it in there. Afterall, isn’t it only 6 meaningless words in between the rest of his commentary?

Oh yea, they took a line out. This is a political ad. We could debate till the cows come home the composition of political ads by everyone. I’m glad to see the Republicans using Democratic tactics in making their ads–the Democrats have always been out front in doing this.

And no question this ad is working.

15. J. Strupp says:

Well they started it. And as long as it’s working, who the hell cares about context! Excellent!

You don’t care about the President lying directly to people and I don’t care about context in political ads. Life is good all around. 🙂

Update to my Comment #10:

Latest GDP Quarter growth: 1.5%

That makes the past 3 quarters as follows:

1.9%, 3.0% , 1.5%

18. the deception of political ads is fading away just like the deception of cigarette ads did, and others. we now have so many communication sources that reliance of tv ads to convince voters is working against the candidates. just my opinion.