Tonight’s Debate

Some observations on tonight’s debate:

Questions in tonight’s debate are to be initiated by undecided voters. History has shown “undecided” participants are not always as they seem. I will project ahead that once known, it will come out that a particular questioner(s) has worked for, donated to, or supported one of the cadidates or parties. On a personal note I believe anyone who is still undecided now is pretty much a flake to begin with. What is it they possibly could not know about either candidate at this point that a little due diligence would not supply? I suspect being “undecided” gives these individuals a sense of power they apparently revel in.

President Obama in no way “loses” this debate as reported by the media. Or Mitt Romney in no way wins this debate as reported by the media. The media have way too much invested in their guy. Every minuscule whatever that Romney says or does will be disected for anything that can help Obama. Headlines and teasers will reflect negatively in some manner toward Romney or postitively to the President regardless of the outcome. There’s too much at stake.
However, as with the VP debate, people can see and hear for themselves, as well as utilize social media will little or no filtering.

I fully suspect some of the questions will come from a source other than the individual’s asking them. Most all of us will likely be able to distinguish these and it is what it is.

Tonight could break the record for most viewers.

I believe it’s a myth that this type of format favors Obama. Oh, based on what we’ve seen before he should excel. But on those occasions he had stacked audiences with softball questions. And there was generally not someone in the room with an opposing view. He also had his teleprompter. At what I believe was the beginning of Obama’s downward slip, the Univision Network interview, Obama had a very poor showing. I bet he had no idea that particular network would grill him so hard on immigration issues and Fast & Furious. Same at the first Presidential debate. Yes, he’ll be prepared tonight but so will Gov. Romney.

I predict both candidates will talk more about the other candidates views and records than their own.

Hillary’s falling on her sword over the Benghazi debacle is bound to come up tonight. Discussion on this is all over the map and I fall into the group that believes Obama will “man-up” and claim some of the responsibility at some level. Clinton making her announcement yesterday was not a coincidence and has a purpose. This one’s a tough call.

Have some thoughts of your own?

What question would you ask either candidate if you were in Long Island tonight?

This Post submitted by Randy in Richmond

1. Ryan Morgan says:

Rarely does it happen, but I disagree with Randy. Romney is going to win tonight. It will be another clear win and even most of the MSM will admit it.

This debate sets up very well for Romney. Obama will come out attacking because his base demands it. But that is not a very smart strategy at a town-hall debate.

Romney will answer the attacks and, more importantly, do a great job of showing COMPASSION for those asking questions and really connecting with folks. Mitt will give the best performance in a Presidental townhall debate since Clinton. But the difference is everyone knew Bill was great at connecting with people in a one-on-one setting. Even most Republicans don’t think of this as a strength of Romney. But it is, and it will be on display tonight.

The first debate moved the race to a draw. This one will move the needle to a Romney lead.

2. Ryan Morgan says:

For an example of what I am talking about, see here:

3. Ryan Morgan says:

Obama’s best hope is that Romney stumbles and they can catch him on one phrasing that can be presented as cold or aloof in attack ads.

I’m not so optimistic. Frankly, I don’t think anyone ‘wins’ a debate. You either hold your ground or you lose. The first debate, Obama clearly lost. In the town hall format, Obama does very well. I will hand it to him, he knows how to work a crowd. Romney tends to be a bit ‘stiffer’, for lack of a better term, when in this sort of public extemporaneous environment. Unless Romney struggles, I expect this to be a draw, with little to no effect on the momentum Romney has at the moment.

I look at the VP debate and the ‘scoring’ was all over the map. Biden eats Ryan’s lunch, Ryan eats Biden’s lunch, Biden was rude/smug, Biden was standing his ground, Ryan was well versed and consistent, Ryan was a deer in the headlights. With this voting public sometimes you just can’t win.

I’ll leave you with this. I was in the HABA area of Costco Saturday, shopping for my daily regimen of vitamins. There was a gentleman talking to a lady giving out samples of Airborne. He was clearly at or near retirement age, and with a loud booming voice he said… “I’ve paid into Medicare and Social Security for nearly 50 years now and Romney wants to take everything, every last red cent, away from me, leaving me with nothing.” Like I said, sometimes you just can’t win and Romney won’t win with anyone who has bought that idea hook, line and sinker.

5. Ryan Morgan says:

“In the town hall format, Obama does very well. I will hand it to him, he knows how to work a crowd.”

The debate rules clearly state that the candidates are not allowed to use a teleprompter.

Lol, I know. But really, when he can talk face to face, wax nostalgic and pump the b.s., he does well. When he’s at a podium, required to state the facts and stick to the message AND there’s no teleprompter, he’s in trouble.

I have no problem with you being correct and me being wrong. Your logic is good, I’m just very suspicious of the media.

8. I’m going to say, as Bdad explained, the best a candidate can do is no harm.

Obama can be so freaking condescending it really might put someone off. But Romney can sometimes have a problem putting emotion into his answers.

We’ll see.

Ryan and I will be at the Rosebud tonight. I’ll also be online again at

And then I’ll come home and crash. I tried to teach my self how to turn at the end of a pool length today and all I can think about now is how wonderful that pillow will feel in a few hours.

there are a substantial number of voters that do not accept political party platform in toto of either party. I am one of them. some of them do not accept either candidate, some of them have their own ideas and ideals and some of them will vote for the most important issue of their choice. the day is coming when there will be one or more additional politically motivated parties.

Did she just say Mr. Romley? Is it just subtle on her part that he’s Mr. and not Governor Romney?

Randy and I agree – people who are undecided at this point are flakes.

12. I’d give the debate to Obama. He did a better job getting his talking points in, and the CNN trend lines went his way. The question is whether it is enough, or if it is too little too late.

He’s gained more on intrade tonight than he lost in the first debate. That’s an Obama win!

14. We’ll see what happens, though. Remember, Intrade was 70% that Obamacare would be overturned.

15. Yes, and once again Obama was given more time. Oh, and the moderator sat in his lap a couple of times to make his point when he failed to do so.

But you know. All’s fair in love, war, and politics. Let’s vote this thing. I’m tired of feeling nauseated.

I’d call it a draw. Not good for Obama. He needed to reverse what Romney did in first debate and did not.

Conversation on Libya, the President lied and Crowley tried to help him.

17. It may have stopped the bleed with O’s base, but the way I see it, undecided America is probably more hacked off than when they began.

If Crowley is held accountable for trying to shore up the President’s lie, it could help in a couple of days. It puts Libya back center stage.

18. If Frank Lutz’s focus group on Fox is any accurate representation, Obama is in trouble. Supposedly they were mostly Obama voters last go-round. Not so now.

I think the most important issue exposed in the debate tonight is that the question of what really happened in Libya has a chance of being scrutinized. The one thing Obama would like to NOT discuss is going to be THE topic for days. If voters feel Obama lied to them (repeatedly) they will not vote for the guy. Fool me once……

19. Check the transcript!!!! Obama definitely said act of terror in the Rose Garden on the 12th. Crowley just fact checked Romney in real time. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

20. The Truth – check the transcript is right! Taken in context, when referring to attacks in general, Obama said, “No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for.” He never called Benghazi an act of terror and sent Ambassador Rice off to do 5 Sunday shows where she rebutted the terrorist notion saying it was a spontaneous protest of the film. In addition, his terror comment came at the end of the speech, well past when he addressed the Benghazi attack.

That being said, I found it to be a negative moment for both candidates tonight.

21. Cindy you hit the nail on the head CNN is walking back Cindy Crowley’s claim. Pretty bad if they are resorting to pulling the rug out from under their own correspondent. Must be worried about the direct impact to them.

B-dad is correct. But just the fact that Crowley chose to check anything speaks volumes. Did she check Obama’s claim on the number of oil leases not declining as Romney said?

And okay, for the sake of discussion, let’s say he did call it terrorism. Then that means for the 10 days following all of his spokespeople and the President himself (Letterman, The View, others) were lying when they said we have to wait for the investigation, or they blamed it on the video. This is the classic gotcha that comes from lying–it has to be one of these 2 scenerios. Some would call it a cover-up.

But the best thing of all is that we and others, lots of others, are talking about Benghazi.

Maybe we can outsource our moderators next time around.

23. Check this fact check out. Female employees in the Obama White House make 18% less than their male counterparts –

24. So Obama’s current position is that he knew the Libya attacks were terrorism from the day after they occurred and that is why he flew to Nevada the same evening for a political fundraiser. That is insane. Why is no one talking about this?

25. CNN – Obama 46-39, CBS – Obama 37-30

26. Lorax: do you happen to know the breakdown for who the CNN voters thought won the debate on the issue of the economy?

On CBS poll overall

Obama 37%
    Romney 30%
    Tie 33%

But here’s the biggy. The one that won’t be forgotten in a few days:

Who was better on the Economy:

Romney 65%
    Obama 34%

I’ll take the economy numbers over the overall any day, especially this late into the race.

Again, it’s a draw.

And yet again the 47% is not brought up.

29. Randy: Did you watch the last question?

30. It’s over now. Obambi can plan that Presidential Library in Nairobi or Jakarta or wherever the hell he wants.

No I didn’t Ryan, thanks.

Reality sucks… for the President… CNN – “…the poll also indicates that debate watchers said Romney would do a better job on economic issues. And the two candidates were tied on an important measure — whether the showdown would affect how the debate watchers will vote. Nearly half said the debate did not make them more likely to vote for either candidate, with the other half evenly divided between both men.”

Well, the President didn’t “man up” and claim responsibility for the Benghazi debacle. I’ll gladly fall short on that prediction because I believe doing so would have helped the President.

Another falsehood from our President at last night’s debate:

“There are millions of women all across the country who rely on Planned Parenthood for mammograms.”

No. PP does not provide mammograms for women. They are told to go elsewhere to actually receive the medical procedure.