Let’s make Obama the Commander in Brief

One of the most pertinent phrases I’ve heard about President Obama after the last debate is that our President isn’t a liar, he’s simply clueless. I’m inclined to agree.

I’m giving the man the benefit of the doubt that he is not malicious. There is no denying, though, that he’s wrong, a lot, about stuff that matters.

Take bayonets, for example.

In an attempt to drive home a point against challenger Mitt Romney, Obama said,

“You mention the Navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1916. Well governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets.”

Obama was being a smart ass, but the emphasis was not on smart. Almost right away Facebook started with photos showing soldiers, in particular Marines, are still issued bayonets. Dozens of photos appeared with catchy little captions. But this morning Keith Koffler put it all together in a way that pleased me.

Given that there were about 200,000 men in the Army and National Guard in 1916, according to National Review, that would mean that there are three times as many bayonets today and probably will be at least four times as many than before World War I.

Oh, you can vote for Obama if you’d like. I can’t do anything about that. But, don’t for a minute argue Obama’s intelligence, or sincerity, or ability. That won’t work for me.

For that matter, your staunch defense of such a man as the current President probably won’t do much for improving my opinion of you, either, in those three areas. No worries. It’s a free country and all that. And I’m free to think you must be an idiot to hold Obama in high esteem.

***

We’re in the final countdown. I’ve not trudged to the GOP headquarters to hand out yard signs or made phone calls from home. What I have done is pray. Praying is not my forte, I’m one of those who generally offers only thanksgiving and rarely lists intentions. But you know what? I’m kind of desperate to see America get back on track, and when I get desperate, I pray.

Consider joining me. I’m not specifically praying for Romney to win. I’m asking for our country to be righted.

Have you ever been in one of those fun houses where the walls are slanted in such a way that even though you are walking downhill it feels as though you are going up? That’s the way I’ve felt in this country for the last couple of years. It’s disorienting.

I want my America back. I want straighter paths and sounder policies and truth instead of illusions.

I don’t think that’s too much to ask this November.

Comments

1. DICK STEINBERG says:

if the election is tied at 47/47 then Cindy calls 1/2 of the USA idiots. that is not civility. many of these people are or were in the millitary, police and fire departments, physicians, nurses, teachers, charity volunteers, students, retirees and factory workers. BTW, horses became obsolete when the calvery pretty much disbanded and remains in name only, and bayonets are used in hand to hand fighting as a last resort when the firepower is gone. It is a stretch to hang your hat on remarks said by both candidates as the defining moment. Who speaks for the Moderates ?

2. J. Strupp says:

The last time the American people let these guys “right the ship”, we ended up in two wars costing us thousands of Americans lives, over a trillion dollars and a weakened status with our enemies in the Middle East and strongest allies throughout the world. They cost us another couple of trillion dollars for a Medicare prescription drug plan and massive unfunded, top heavy tax cuts. To top all of this off, these geniuses managed to inflate and then deflate the largest asset bubble in human history in less than 8 years. The fallout is what you see this nation dealing with today.

Now Romney and the boys want to right the ship by putting another couple of trillion bucks on the credit card to increase spending on the military (which can already blow this world to hell and back 10 times over) and more massive, unfunded, top heavy tax cuts.

So how many times do we have to let these guys sink the ship before we realize they aren’t trying to right it? I have no use for THAT America. We’re better than that.

3. Which Mitt are you supporting the corporate raider/financier M, the moderate M from MA, the tea-partier M from the primaries, the peacenik M from the last debate or the M Grover Norquist described as having 5 working digits.
    When was this America you want back, it certainly can’t be since the 80″s when middle class incomes and aspirations were flat and then smashed?
    My only quasi religious principle is do unto others.

4. I’m supporting the Mitt that is anyone but Obama.

I want the America back where arrogance wasn’t revered as a legitimate way to earn a living.

5. J. Strupp – off you go with “these guys.”

I don’t care who does it. Hell I’d have been happy with Hillary giving it a go. Obama’s time is over.

6. Who speaks for the moderates? Let’s hope it isn’t you, Dick, as you aren’t making a great deal of sense anymore.

7. The extreme hyperbole is a nice touch. Fits in well with much of the present election discourse.

People working themselves into a melodramatic lather over this race is about as sensical as people arguing over whether it’s better to have a quarter or five nickels. Sure, there are distinctions, but none are as big as the arguing parties want to perceive.

8. J. Strupp says:

Hey, when Romney differentiates himself from the rest of the deficit spending, horse and sparrow retreads in his party, I’ll stop lumping him in with those guys.

9. Comments have decided to behave badly for some reason today. If you post something and it doesn’t show up – hang on. I’ll try to check in until it all settles down.

There’s always a reason something goes bonkers with WordPress, it just takes me a while to figure it out.

10. DICK STEINBERG says:

Now Cindy wants to eliminate arrogance. where does that remark come from? there was a time when Cindy sometimes agreed with me and now that I sometimes disagree with her so it makes no sense. Instead of prayer for the next President we should pray for the men and women who are giving their lives and body parts for our country. Does that make sense ? yes, both candidates have made statements that are not clear and precise but so has the media and the critics in the peanut gallery. again, my prediction is that Romney will win. he sure will be a busy man on day one. and after that the country will be more rigidly split than ever. Who speaks for the Moderates ?

11. You are not a moderate, Dick. You are babbling about who knows what. There was not one single coherent thought in your previous screed.

Please seek medical attention immediately. I think you’re showing signs of dementia.

12. Karl Skagen says:

Pray? Really? You are criticizing the intelligence of our President while throwing whispers to the wind? Sheesh.

13. Would you feel better if I suggested collective Karma?

My favorite Sagan quote.

“But I could be wrong”.

15. “But what we can do, as flawed as we are, is still see God in other people, and do our best to help them find their own grace. That’s what I strive to do, that’s what I pray to do every day.”
    Barack Obama

Sounds like a pretty decent fellow to me.

16. “Even today I am not ashamed to say that, overpowered by stormy enthusiasm, I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time.”

Sounds like a pretty decent fellow to me.

(- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 5)