Barack Obama, the selfie president

I got myself into trouble on Twitter last night with this comment:

In case you missed it, this is the latest presidential selfie:

Can you imagine German Chancellor Angela Merkel popping a selfing from the back of her limo? Me either. Of course, there’s also this to consider:

Putin is out there skinning tigers with his bare hands and this is what we’re doing.

I think I need more than 140 characters to explain this one.

The terrorist attack on 9/11/2001 created an immediate reaction in me. I knew our country would never be the same. Indeed, the changes that have taken place since that time make parts of our lives pre-9/11 unrecognizable. Flying, for one. Privacy, for another.

I felt the same gut response last night when I saw that photo. America is forever diminished by that moment of self-indulgence by our President and Vice President. Tweeting a photo labeled “pals” trivializes the two offices to the point where America will never be the same. Our President and Vice President don’t consider their roles important enough to act with decorum. They are behaving like a high school date headed to prom. Doesn’t that discourage you?

Someone argued the Boston bombing a year ago was more discouraging that a selfie photo. I will concede I had the same mind-numbing response when I saw swat teams entering private homes with their guns drawn under the guise of public safety; when I saw an entire community willing to undergo house arrest without questioning the reason. Yes. That bothered me, too, to watch Americans surrender their liberty to authority where none actually existed.

One of my favorite musicals is Sweet Charity. The play also provides a very important question: What will you be doing the moment your rights disappear?

Chances are now that our President will be tweeting a selfie when you are asked to surrender your liberty.

Doesn’t that discourage you?

Comments

1. Oh dear. This is what’s happening in Ukraine while our selfie POTUS is playing in the limo:

Obama today boasted that the number of people signed up for Obamacare has increased to 8 million. He’s actually bragging about an unpopular program that he coerced many into joining when they really don’t want to. And how much can we believe this statement? With the same certainty as when he told us “you can keep your health plan and your doctor.”

3. Cindy, I’ll bet you were just livid over this adolescent act:

Btw, this took place while American soldiers were dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, as far as I can tell, there are no American soldiers dying in Ukraine. And remember when Bush lied about giving up golf for the troops? Yeah, got that one on tape too:

Maybe we should all just lighten up a bit. After all, presidents are only human. They are just as entitled to having a bit of fun as the rest of us.

4. Michael Stanley says:

There’s still troops dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, skid mark.

George Bush did not lie as claimed by Keith Olbermann or you, Alex. Here’s the full quote from Politco:

Q” Mr. President, you haven’t been golfing in recent years. Is that related to Iraq”?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, it really is. I don’t want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander-in-Chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be as — to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.

“Q Mr. President, was there a particular moment or incident that brought you to that decision, or how did you come to that?

THE PRESIDENT: No, I remember when de Mello, who was at the U.N., got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man’s life. And I was playing golf — I think I was in central Texas — and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it’s just not worth it anymore to do.”

deMello was killed in August 2003. It’s straightforward and simple – President Bush’s statement was that he no longer wanted to play golf – that day – as he learned the news. Bush answers “yes”, that Iraq played a part in his decision to not play golf and “no” – there was not a particular moment. But he does mention the deMello incident as part of why he eventually did stop playing golf.

Is perhaps up to 5 years of not playing golf not good enough? We really do not know the exact date when Bush decided to stop playing golf from this interview, but we do know it was after October 13, 2003 – as shown by the video Olbermann uses. But even the Politico interviewer refers to the “years” that Bush had not played. No lying here.

6. Alex Kilibrand says:

“and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it’s just not worth it anymore to do.”

It wasn’t worth it anymore for him to do, but as we all know, he did, two short months later.

But he didn’t lie. Because when you say you’re going to do something and then do the exact opposite, it’s not not telling the truth.

I made my point and it is valid.

8. This selfie, Obama and Biden, is far less egregious, not even in the same ball park, as GW Bush landing on the aircraft carrier and declaring “mission accomplished’, after less than a year in Iraq, which we eventually……….. So, Randy, Alex is kinda right.

CMART
    Please provide a link to where President Bush ‘declared’ “Mission accomplished”.

You’re completely unhinged.

11. https://csis.org/blog/bush-never-said-“mission-accomplished”

Alex Kilibrand is a paid Soros Troll (there is no Alex Kilibrand in the state of Wisconsin, only two fake Facebook profiles).

12. Alex Kilibrand says:

“Alex Kilibrand is a paid Soros Troll”

I wish.

LMAO! 🙂

13. Alex Kilibrand says:

Just got a call from Soros. He said this was the most discouraging thing he’s witnessed in America since 9/11 and that I should post it pronto!

Hey, I just do what I’m told.

14. Yes, Alex is our special troll. As long as he keeps it clean he gets to stay. I guess everyone has a right to earn a living, and his idiocy is good for traffic.

That’s said, wow. Do I wish he’d share the love and pick on others now and then. He’s remarkably annoying and mostly ineffective.

15. Michael Stanley says:

I believe Smith posted the most factual account of mission accomplished. It’s a shame CJ McD can’t bother to read.

CJMcD
    Interesting links. Not one of them have President Bush ‘declaring’ “Mission Accomplished”. But I knew that when I asked the question. Now can someone provide me a link to Sarah Palin declaring that ” I can see Russia from my house”. That will fulfill my day.

17. Alex Kilibrand says:

“and his idiocy is good for traffic”

“You like me, you really like me.” 🙂

Beep beep (sound of traffic)!

18. Alex Kilibrand says:

To cindy this selfie moment is some kind of horrifically magnificent event that will assuredly prove to be the domino that caused the downfall of a once great nation. To the reasonable-minded, it’s a proverbial piss in the ocean … ferchristsakes, it’s a freaking photo! 😉

19. Especially for a simple minded fuck like you, Alex.

20. Who says my world makes sense? Good night you two. I’ll give you something new to fight about tomorrow.

21. Alex Kilibrand says:

Shawn, this selfie moment is just the meager beginning of the great apocalypse. It’s all downhill from here, pal. Better buckle up.

22. ” I can see Russia from my house”- Not a Sarah Palin statement. It was Tina Fey portraying Sarah Palin in a spoof skit on SNL.

On the Bush “mission accomplished” thing- I see this as a matter of semantics.

“Declare” by definition –
    1. To make known formally or officially. See Synonyms at announce.
    2. To state emphatically or authoritatively; affirm.
    3. To reveal or make manifest; show.

You are correct in the fact that Bush did not verbally state or as you say “declare” mission accomplished. However the very large banner stage crafted so carefully behind him did declare “Mission Accomplished”. I’m quite sure if that was not a message he wanted to relay to the public that banner would not have been hanging behind him.

Actually Bush himself had no prior knowledge of the banner as it’s purpose was to attest to the ship’s mission. It was placed there with the knowledge of some Bush staffers with the understanding it was for the families of the ship’s crew. But Bush saying it was about Iraq is just another talking point of the left that is untrue.

24. Randy,
    Bush’s speech, paragraph 3-
    […Operation Iraqi Freedom was carried out with a combination of precision, and speed, and boldness the enemy did not expect, and the world had not seen before. From distant bases or ships at sea, we sent planes and missiles that could destroy an enemy division, or strike a single bunker. Marines and soldiers charged to Baghdad across 350 miles of hostile ground, in one of the swiftest advances of heavy arms in history. You have shown the world the skill and the might of the American Armed Forces….]

You can find the full text of the speech here. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/text-of-bush-speech-01-05-2003/

There is no “mission accomplished” that CMART aluded to previously. What is outlined here is precisely what we (and our allies) had actually done up to May 2003, including whatever part the crew of the USS Abraham Lincoln may have contributed. And that crew was hours from docking and seeing their families after an extended, successful mission.

26. J. Strupp says:

Yeah, hours. And within helicopter range. This entire thread, including the OP, is ridiculous.

Cindy
    Your selfie post resulted in:

Much more Bush discussion than Obama.

That you:
    should lighten up.
    are completely unhinged.
    are not reasonable-minded.

And that your thread is ridiculous.

Great job! 🙂